Ch 12

Ezra's POV: 

Why did she lie to father? Why did she save me from him even after everything I did? She could've  gotten her worse she could've died. Is this a part of her plan too? Trying to get me on her good side. She's has father smitten the way he looked at her made my heart ached. I can't help but feel anger that he feels this way for another woman. Has he found love after all? 

The wind slaps my face as I stand in the middle of the field clueless of her intentions. My heart beats faster at the thought of her petty face. I can't stand her being in our life taking the place of my mother. 

As I stood there, lost in the storm of my thoughts, a voice broke through the howling wind, drawing my attention back to the present. It was Lady Marion, her figure emerging from the shadows as she approached me with a concerned expression etched upon her features.

"Ezra, dear, are you alright?" she asked, her voice soft and gentle.

I forced a tight-lipped smile, nodding in response. "I'm fine, Lady Marion. Just needed some fresh air."

But she wasn't convinced, her eyes searching mine with a knowing gaze. "You know you can tell me?" she ventured, her voice dropping to a whisper as she spoke her name.

Lady Marion has been a steadfast presence in my life for as long as I can remember. From the earliest days of childhood scrapes and bruises to the more recent battles fought in the shadows, she has been my unwavering support. Whether it was tending to my wounds or soothing my fevered brow, she has always been there, a constant pillar of strength and compassion. In many ways, she has been more than just a caretaker; she has been a mother figure to me, offering guidance and solace in times of need. My façade wavered for a moment, the weight of her words hitting me like a physical blow. How could she possibly know what I was thinking? And yet, there was an understanding in her eyes, a silent acknowledgment of the turmoil that raged within me.

"I don't trust her," I admitted finally, my voice barely above a whisper. "There's something about her, something... I just can put my hand on it."

Lady Marion's expression softened with sympathy as she reached out to place a comforting hand on my shoulder. "I understand, dear. But sometimes, things aren't always as they seem. Perhaps it would be wise to give Miss Aya the benefit of the doubt."

Her words struck a chord within me, stirring a sense of doubt and uncertainty that I had been trying so hard to suppress. Could I truly judge her without knowing the full extent of her intentions? Was I allowing my own biases to cloud my judgment?

"Perhaps you're right," I concede, my gaze lingering on the ground beneath me.

Lady Marion chuckles softly. "I'm always right," she remarks before turning back towards the mansion, her figure gradually fading into the shadows.

Alone once more, I mount Fera, feeling the familiar sense of freedom that comes with riding. With a gentle nudge, we set off into the sprawling expanse of the estate, the wind whipping through my hair as we gallop across the fields. 

As the moon cast its silvery glow over the landscape, I made my way back home, Fera's steady hoofbeats the only sound in the quiet night. But as I neared the estate, a figure caught my eye—a lone silhouette standing amidst the fields. Drawing closer, I could discern the familiar features of Aya, her chestnut hair catching the moonlight in an ethereal glow.

"What brings you out here?" I grumble, a trace of annoyance in my voice at her unexpected presence.

She reaches out to stroke Fera's mane, her eyes meeting mine with a glimmer of mischief. "I thought I'd join you for a ride," she replies, her touch gentle against the horse's sleek coat.