1.10

Connor

The house I entered was like ice. To start with, it was freezing cold for some reason. Second, the silence it held was cut apart but Emily and Mom yelling at each other. This, of course, was a fairly common thing to hear in our house, only it didn't always sound this serious. Mom's voice was like an icicle, harsh, and unforgiving. Emily was just as soft as ever, her words more like poison darts, twisting and spinning through the air to break hearts. Well, that would be the case if Mom had a heart when it came to Emily.

"Look, Emily," I heard faintly. I walked silently towards the kitchen, where they were, but Troye was telling me to listen in. So I stood just outside the kitchen door and listened to the two of them destroy each other. "You haven't gotten into a life-scarring accident. You haven't given multiple families the damn scare of their lives. You haven't been damaged emotionally and physically like Connor has. You - "

What?

"Hold up. Wait, what?" Emily said. I could picture her defiant stance easily. This was where she was confused and asked Mom what the hell was she talking about. "Does that mean I don't matter to you? Does not getting into a car accident mean that it doesn't matter what I do? That the fact that I am your daughter doesn't matter because you son had done all these things?" She didn't contradict Mom and her weird, confusing, lies, because there was never a car accident. I've never been damaged emotionally and physically.

I couldn't listen any longer. "What are you talking about?" I whispered.

Emily looked at me, her face a mix of every emotion: success, fear, regret, sorrow, happiness. Mom looked at me, her eyes screaming out "No!".

"Hey, Connor," Emily started. "Mom has something she should've told you eight years ago."

I stared at Mom.

"No I don't, sweetie." Then she frowned. "Is that blood on your shirt?"

"I don't know," I responded bitterly. She was hiding something. My mind was screaming the answer, but I couldn't hear. "Are you lying to me?"

"Of course not!" she laughed awkwardly.

"Then it isn't blood."

"It's blood, Con. Let me - " Emily started.

"Then what the hell were you talking about?"

"Connor, it's complicated and doesn't matter," Mom said, reaching out a hand.

"You said I was in a car crash. And was scarred physically and emotionally. I don't remember that. Someone's lying to me."

It shattered, and the metal fence bent around the red car.

"Connor, no one's lying to you - "

A black haired head slammed into a wheel. A small child's body fell between seats and folded in half like a dollar bill. Only Troyes aren't meant to be folded in half. Then there was a leather strap against my neck and I couldn't breathe. I was jolted forward and back, where I hit the cushion and I screamed.

"YES YOU ARE!" I screamed. My knees collapsed and someone in my head was screaming. Glass was shattering and tires were screeching against pavement.

Emily's hand was on my shoulder, rubbing circles into my back. "Shhh, Con, you're alright. Breathe...Just breathe, you're safe. You're okay."

"Troye's not, is he?" I murmured, hearing his screams.

My mom caught her breath.

"He will be," Emily whispered.