9: The Chain

Hereford Base
July 17th 2016
1:17 PM

Leonard at the moment is in a trance sitting before his laptop looking through random videos as he looks towards the acoustic guitar he brought with him and sets it on his lap.

He chuckles thinking back to when he first bought this thing for Brandon back when they were in highschool.

*15 years ago, October 2004*

A sixteen year old Leonard is standing before Brandon who's about a year younger than him. Leonard looks at the browned haired and blue eyed man with disappointment evident by his sigh.

"Brandon we talked about this, you can't just pick fights because someone said something you didn't like." Leonard states harshly with the New York weather calm as it's ever been being in October.

"He talked crap about dad, what I'm supposed to do? Just let that little shit spout lies?" Brandon asks with his arms as he's leaned against the hood of Leo's 1991 sedan.

Leonard sighs at Brandon's use of foul language.

"Be better Brandon, people like them are only trying to get attention and you're only enabling them with your reaction." Leonard replies sitting next to Brandon seeing the bruise near his eye.

Brandon scoffs shaking his head as his unkempt hair moves his head.

"I fail to see how me decking the shit out them enables them Leo." Brandon retorts whilst rubbing his face.

Leonard chuckles somewhat with Brandon looking over wondering what he finds so funny.

"People your age are weird like that Brandon." Leonard replies earning a baffled look from Brandon.

"People my age? You're only a year older than me asshole." Brandon says jokingly as Leonard looks at him silently. "What?"

Leonard tilts his head hearing this in disbelief at this.

"Brandon, what day is it?" Leonard asks.

"Wednesday?" Brandon asks confused as to why Leo is making a big deal over this.

"Oh my- it's October 17th you dumbass, your birthday?" Leo asks ready to slap him silly.

Brandon's eyes widen and sighs in disappointment with his head down.

"I'm such a dumbass... Well I guess I ruined it for myself didn't I?"

"Not exactly, come on get in." Leonard says getting in the driver seat as Brandon gets in the passenger seat.

Leonard drives off as Brandon is looking out the window processing that he's sixteen now.

"I know being sixteen isn't the biggest deal in the world but I wish Dad were here to... You know." Brandon points out.

"I hear ya." Leonard replies as it doesn't necessarily bother him that dad isn't around since he understands that Dad has responsibilities being a Navy Seal and all.

Leonard pulls his sedan to the side of the road as Brandon sees a music store nearby as he looks towards his brother.

"That's right little brother, you're finally getting yourself that acoustic guitar you've been asking for." Leonard says getting out with Brandon following him inside and looks around.

"Ah the King brothers, I'm guessing today is the day?" The store clerk asks being a Caucasian in his fifties.

Leonard nods as he and Brandon wait by the counter as the clerk looks around for a few moments. They soon see him return with a customized black acoustic guitar in hand as it's set down on the counter.