Chapter 22

As we left school, giggling and looking back, Bianca kept forgetting which leg she'd hurt playing dodgeball, limping on and off with her right or left.

"You're breaking character," I whispered in her ear.

"You think I'll blow our cover?" Bianca looked at me with mischievous eyes. "We're almost there."

Just beyond the bushes, her car came into view, a red classic Mustang built for two.

"Hop in!" Bianca chirped, slapping the driver's seat and swinging open my door.

"You've got an epic ride! Seriously." I settled in carefully, like I'm sitting in church.

"My parents gave it to me for my sixteenth two years ago."

"Cool folks you've got."

"Yeah, they're okay... typical parents. Trying to make up for their constant absence with gifts. Thanks to them, they're not hiring that damn nanny anymore. I used to make her say she was my deaf-mute aunt from Yugoslavia."

She's turning eighteen soon! Now I know how old she is. We are the same age.

"Oh... come on. Yugoslavia's ancient history."

"So, Yugoslavia was the only thing that threw you off," Bianca laughed. "Believe it or not," she squints at me, "it's up to you. Ready to roll?"

"Yeah... oh!" I didn't expect her to buckle my seatbelt herself.

"Safety first," she waged her finger at me.

I bit my lip and nodded.

"Let's close up the top, it's chilly."

"I've got clothes in my bag."

"Let's drive away from this gift called school and change."

I blushed.

"You know, my mom's always missing at work, too. She's in a law firm. Started from the bottom as a secretary, putting up with all those jerk guys. Met my sister's dad there... Then she went to law school, and now she's a lawyer. None of the jerks at her old job believed in her, underestimated her, said she was dumb and couldn't do anything but serve coffee or reply to emails. But she fooled them all, played dumb, and then unleashed her claws. She even sued some of them and got their licenses revoked. Mom's got so much dirt on chauvinists, they'll be cleaning it up for ages."

I fell silent, realizing I said too much.

"Your mom's a badass chick!" she said, wide-eyed. "Wish I had one like her!"

"And I wish I had parents who'd give me a Mustang for my sixteenth."

"We've driven far enough. Let's change in the car and go to the exhibition like good girls."

More chapters on my personal Patreon page

New updates:

The cover belongs to ©treepipit

No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without written permission of the publisher.
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

All rights reserved
© treepipit 2019-2024