Chapter 42

I wanted to get home as quickly as possible. I decided to walk because calling an Uber and waiting outside Bianca's house felt unbearable, as did asking Lamar for a ride. It was all so humiliating.

I walked steadily, using the navigator, trying to figure out which way to turn. The tears that kept falling onto the screen distorted the map amusingly.

Ishani was right: popular girls are all the same. I should've trusted her more. Lamar was right too, though I hated to admit it: Bianca didn't care about me. She had her football players and, of course, Dick. Lucky her, snagging such a Dick.

I needed to apologize to everyone... maybe even come out. They didn't seem like homophobes. Then at least they might understand why I acted like such a fool.

Everyone was calling me: Lamar, Alisha, who called like ten times, and Ishani was texting non-stop. I kept swiping her messages away. Everyone was trying to find me except Bianca. An unknown number popped up several times, maybe her calling from another number.

I didn't answer anyone, sinking deeper into self-loathing.

The house was dark, which meant one thing: Mom wasn't back from her date, and Jess had taken the chance to escape somewhere. Why would they be home? It was only half-past six.

I needed some air, so I sat on the porch steps. The autumn air smelled of earth and fallen leaves. The flowers left by the previous owners were in full bloom: bright orange marigolds, fire red asters, and the wind-tossed heather. At our old house, we had no flowers because Jess's father's family preferred a neat lawn, a white picket fence, and a spotless house with a flag on the porch. I barely remember the apartment where Mom and I lived alone before dumb Jess was born, but it was charming, modest, and cozy: ottomans, soft blankets, old plush toys, houseplants in pots. When I first saw this house with its garden, flower beds, and cracked clay pots, and then met Ishani, Mel, and the basketball crew, I thought I could call this new town home.

I wiped away another tear, watching the heather sway.

Another call from Bianca made me jump. Enough self-pity, time to answer.

"What do you want? Don't you have your Dick to play with?" I snapped.

"Okayyy, well, good evening to you too, Mel."

"Heather?!"

Check out the Queen of the Night's Concubine 👑🌈🙏

More chapters on my personal Patreon page

New updates:

The cover belongs to ©treepipit

No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without written permission of the publisher.
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

All rights reserved
© treepipit 2019-2024