Chapter 19

"Bianca, wait!"

She turned around with a smile, "Hey. That was a great game! We should do it again."

"Yeah..." I shuffled from foot to foot. I realized I didn't know what to say to her: I wanted to say everything and at the same time nothing. I couldn't just thank her again for bailing me out once more.

We stood in silence, but she didn't leave. She could have just walked away, turned around, but Bianca stood there, looking at my hands.

"You've got a great body."

Oh man, I don't know where to hide from embarrassment.

"I can't help but notice how fit you're looking." she continued.

"Oh, uh, thanks. I, um, try to stay active." I mumbled blushing.

"Seriously, though, what's your secret? You must be into some cool sports or outdoor stuff. I've seen you around, looking all athletic and stuff."

"Yeah, I guess I like running and hiking sometimes and swimming too, nothing serious, you know, just to clear my head."

"That's awesome! I've been meaning to get into hiking myself. Maybe we could hit the trails together sometime?"

I stared at her in disbelief, "Um, yeah, that sounds... cool. I'd like that."

"But seriously, did you take up any sports?"

"Uh, yeah, I used to swim. But, you know, I kind of gave it up."

"Gave it up? Why? You're so good at it! I mean, I can totally picture you gliding through the water like a pro."

I shrugged, "It's just... no one really cared, you know? Heather gave up swimming even earlier, my former friend from the old school. It felt like I was swimming all those laps for nothing."

Bianca cocked her eyebrow hearing the name 'Heather', but then she relaxed and added softly, "Well, I care. I think it's amazing that you have that kind of dedication and talent. And if you ever want to get back into it, I'd totally be there to cheer you on. Because I'm a cheerleader. Hahaha"

I didn't laugh because I was so happy to hear her words.

Damn, she'll think I didn't like her joke. Think, Mel, think! You have her handbook, you know what she likes.

"Don't you want to go somewhere?" I blurted out so quickly that my words merged into one and it sounded like dyawantgsomewhere...

Bianca looked at me with interest, adjusting the studs on her cute ears.

"Where?"

"Um... I'm new in town, and, you know, haven't seen much, but in the app on my phone, you know, the green one with the owl face," I showed her the app. "It says there's a vintage postcards, photographs, and valentines exhibition opening this week. Do you want to go with me? It's kind of silly, not many people are into that, I'll understand if you refuse." I put on an indifferent face, although inside I was burning like hell!

Come on, come on! Postcards are a great bait! I know you like that! Please...

A second felt like forever.

Bianca first looked at me in surprise not believing her ears, then she spread into a joyful smile as if I had served her pancakes with ripe berries and maple syrup on a sunny Sunday morning.

Coming soon 🔜

More chapters on my personal Patreon page

New updates:

The cover belongs to ©treepipit

No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without written permission of the publisher.
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

All rights reserved
© treepipit 2019-2024