04

CHAPTER THREEIt's Not Real

CHAPTER THREE
It's Not Real

Thursday, RedWood
9:45 AM

Shit, shit, shit.

Astra scrambled through the hallways as fast as humanly possible, carrying a shoe in one hand while the other held the strap of her bag that was slung over her shoulder.

How could her alarm clock become so delayed today out of all days? She struggled to put the old shoes on, nearly tripping over herself in the process. The zipper of her bag was wide open; some papers spilled out of it a few steps ago, but she didn't make the effort to pick it back up.

The school corridors were quiet. No students were supposed to be out and about during class, even if it was a mistake. Astra hoped she wouldn't run into Ms. Darcy on her way to the classroom.

The door's hinge was broken, as usual. "Stupid thing," groaning in irritation before gaving the door a forceful push.

In a flash, the door flew open a bit too roughly as it hit the wall, and pecks of wood scattered into the air like dusty floor mats. She could feel everyone glaring at her from their seats.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Get in!" The teacher spoke, displeased with her unethical entrance.

Astra swiftly made it to the back of the classroom, where the only unoccupied seat was.

There was a reason why students hated this seat; it was absolutely filthy, and not to mention, rats scurried past you at random times, their fur often brushed against your legs, sending a tingling sensation all throughout your body.

She fanned her hand in front of her nose, pursuing her effort to get rid of a treacherous odour. The half-wrecked chair was dusty, and so was the matching table.

It's fine.

Her instinct urged her to run far away from the table. She pushed through it all—the bad smell, the dusty furniture, even the unknown animals greeting her every once in a while.

••●••

The group of kids—both boys and girls—sat in a circle on the spikey grass, gossiping. Bianca stood out amongst the others; she was like a magnet; everyone wanted to be around her.

To them, it didn't matter if she was a good or bad person. It didn't matter how badly she treated them like rats in a lab. In her perspective, she was the queen while the others kneeled before her. The prime example of pretty privilege.

Astra didn't hate her. In fact, sometimes she wished she was included in Bianca's small conversations, parties, and sleepovers. Every time she tried to strike up a conversation, Bianca wasn't too reluctant and gave her a disgusted look.

Not too far from the school yard was the dark forest isolating the school. Its trees were tall and wide. You wouldn't be able to tell if there was a creature stalking you, slowly creeping its way into your vicinity.