06

CHAPTER SIX,One Way Out

CHAPTER SIX,
One Way Out

Somewhere
12:07 AM

Pelting rain poured down on it, each drop tapping against the ground and imprinting its mark. An earthy scent hung in the misty air, creating a sense of deja vu.

Although the wind wasn't harsh, the air remained ice-cold, sending a shiver down the spines of civilians who were out scavenging tonight.

Puddles formed on the pavement, their water reflecting the chaos that lives above it. Neon signs shook as a frosty breeze passed them.

Two girls walked on the sidewalk; one wore a puffy jacket, whereas the other got cozy in a leather jacket, which was most likely stolen.

They walked side by side, kicking off the small pebbles that stood in their way. It tumbled down the hill before a plopping sound echoed, indicating that the rock had drowned in a body of water.

Astra had always wondered why it was called the "body of water." Was it because the water had bodies lying down on its floor? Or was it something else she couldn't quite put her finger on?

Though, considering the city she was in was known for its unsolved cases, bodies in the water wouldn't be a shock to anyone living there.

Still, the thought of bodies sinking onto the ocean's surface, just right below where they were standing, made her eyebrows frown and her body shift in discomfort.

For an unknown reason, during times when the world was both peaceful and filled with chaos, a forgotten memory was triggered within her never-stopping mind.

She'd only seen a body during her time spent in the lab and on a random Tuesday.

Walking down the street with her mother while listening to nature's ambiance soothed the overwhelming fear she often had. Hand in hand, they both continued to cheerfully walk down the quiet street.

To be fair, it wasn't empty; it was quiet. No one talked to each other; they just kept on walking and walking until their legs eventually gave up.

That day wasn't any different; she enjoyed the birds chirping but couldn't ever see any birds or any sort of animal life. Balancing herself along the edge of the sidewalk, she notices a group of men gathering around a valley.

Those men were chattering in hushed voices, fearing that someone would overhear their conversation. One of them said something she couldn't make out. But she did hear the gunshot.

It lasted for only a second, yet Astra felt like she'd relieved her entire life in those mere seconds, fearing the fact that one day it could be her who lies dead in a dirty valley.

When she looked next to her, Astra thought she would see her mom staring at her through her frightened eyes, dragging her far away from the scene, but instead, she came face to face with her best friend, Selina.