07

CHAPTER SEVEN,Unplanned Arrival

CHAPTER SEVEN,
Unplanned Arrival

She had always imagined the past was a better place, a place where she could freely run in endless fields. Outstretching her arms and legs like a snow angel, her view blocked by fluffy clouds lazily drifting away.

Blooming flowers blinded her sight as she lay down; each blade of grass brushed against her skin like the tender touch of a mother, a feeling she could never experience.

Soaring high above was a bird; its wings flapped with agility and precision, and its blank mind never had to worry about what corrupt incident was happening during a moment of solace.

Birds aren't anything like humans; they aren't as cruel as the frail souls inhabiting this dying world.

Though one thought lasted in her mind, overstaying its welcome like an unwanted guest.

It was obvious to her that although birds aren't anything close to humans, they still shared a resemblance; bled the same blood, breathed the same air, lived on the same planet, and yet they had a chance of freedom, gracefully flying away from their problems while she was stuck dealing with hers for years.

If she had known the future wasn't a beaming, bright light ready to navigate her through the hellish things she had to endure, then she would've never escaped the lab.

Over the happiness was death stalling, listening for the day that the ticking stopped. Because that would be the day it all went down in flames, burning her into nothing but ashes to be scattered.

Was that all life was? Just a momentary place to rest?

Astra wondered when the ticking would become a beep instead, equivalent to a time bomb doing its final countdown.

A while ago, she thought it would be then, at that exact moment, when the timer had cut short like someone had detonated it rather than waiting for it to go out naturally.

She blinked away the tired remanence, fluttering her eyes open to be greeted by the same field she'd seen in her restless dreams.

Only nature could reach her here; flowers, sunlight, swaying grass was a part of it. Unfortunately, it was a nightmare, and nature included immoral human beings.

On the horizon was a thirteen-year-old girl playing, taking her place on a clearing, playing with a small cat. Gently, she patted its soft fur, smiling to herself, and the animal purred happily.

Astra's feet shuffled around the tall grass as if it were a puddle of water; the sloppy dirt didn't help the situation. There were no trees for her to hide behind; as confusing as this all was, Astra couldn't put a finger on why the young girl hadn't noticed her existence.

Confusion was quickly washed away. She was glad there were no blind spots, or else she wouldn't be able to spot the man in a hazmat suit deceitfully slithering up behind the girl.