Chapter 8 Courtroom

"You can't hide from me, little girl, where are youu ~"

The little girl was terrified, hiding among the clothes in her cabinet. She was crying, but she had to suppress her sobs if she didn't want to end up like her parents.

When she returned home from school, she was greeted by their open gate and she quickly ran to greet her parents, but to her surprise, she found a man wearing a clown mask sitting on the sofa in the living room. His head was drooping as if he was staring at her. She looked down and almost lost consciousness when she saw three mutilated bodies that were hardly recognizable, even their heads were severely damaged.

She screamed and quickly ran out, but unfortunately, she tripped over a stone. She screamed when the man grabbed her hair and dragged her inside. She was asking for help, but because of the heavy rain, no one could hear her.

He almost dragged her by her hair. The little girl was crying because of the pain of him pulling her hair.

Once inside, he threw her onto the mutilated bodies and she almost gagged and screamed when she touched one of them.

"Mommy!"

The man in front of her laughed. A demonic laugh with a strange voice. After a while, he left and the little girl quickly ran into her sister's room and hid in the cabinet.

She heard the clinking of chains near her.

"You can't hide from me, little girl, where are you ~"

"Got you!"

She could only let out a muffled scream when the man opened the cabinet where she was hiding.

Leila woke up with a start when she felt something cold on her forehead.

And she seemed dizzy from getting up quickly.

"Hey relax, it's just me."

"What are you doing here?!"

"Of course, this is my house. Just kidding, I was just checking on you last night because I heard your muffled groans. I was about to wake you up when I felt your fever!"
Paul was still holding the washcloth.

"Tsk, I don't need that."

"Okay, get up now, it's time to eat. I've already cooked."

"No. I'm going home."

"I didn't say you couldn't go home. I said we're going to eat."

"Tch"

"Come on, Leila, join me for a meal. It's sad to eat alone!"

"Then get married!"

"Okay, marry me!"

"What?! Crazy!"

"Just kidding, you're not my type!"

Leila's Pov

"You seem okay now, you can even curse! Come out after."

He went out and slammed the door.

Crazy.

I sighed. After freshening up, I quickly put on my clothes from last night. They were already washed and dried.

I was surprised to find Paul in the living room with papers scattered all over the table, focused on his laptop.

"Hey, I'm going home."

His eyes widened when he looked at me.

"You took a shower?! You know you had a fever last night!"

"Tch, you're like my dad."

"Wait, I'll drive you home and I have some errands too but let's eat first."

I couldn't do anything because I realized I didn't know this place.

The breakfast was simple. Fried rice, egg, and tocino but he seemed very proud of it.

I ate very little because I didn't have an appetite.

After a while, he made me wait in the living room because he was going to take a shower. Out of boredom, I picked up one of the scattered papers on the table.

The words on the page were clear, but their implications made my mind spin. In short, I couldn't understand anything!

"Let's go?"

I looked at him, unable to help but admire his suit. It suited his craziness and over-the-top personality perfectly.

"You look good."

"Really? I knew it, I'm so handsome-"

"Are you going to leave these behind?"

I pointed to the papers and his laptop.

"Oh yeah!"

He quickly organized them one by one and put them in his attaché case.

"Looks like you have work, huh?"

"Ah yes, do you want to come along? You can watch me!"

I just smiled at him but agreed since I didn't have anything else to do that day.

He opened the door for me, and I was amazed by the cars of his acquaintances.

As of my knowledge, the second most expensive car in the world is the Bugatti Chiron Super Sport 300+. It is a limited edition hypercar with a price tag of several million dollars.

That was his car! Well, it makes sense for an intelligent attorney like him to have one.

In the grand courtroom, the tension was palpable. Two seasoned attorneys stood on opposing sides, their sharp gazes meeting across the room. The polished wooden furniture and the stern gaze of the judge added to the gravity of the situation.

We arrived at the courtroom, and I sat in the back, watching them.

On my side was Attorney Paul, an outstanding lawyer known for his aggressive arguments and quick thinking. His client, a businessman accused of fraud, sat behind him, his face displaying worry. Paul, however, remained calm, his confident posture reflecting his years of experience.

He was completely different at work.

On the other side of the room was Attorney Johnson, a younger but equally formidable lawyer. Known for her meticulous preparation and persuasive arguments, she represented the state, seeking justice for the alleged victims of the fraud.

As the trial began, Paul stood up, presenting his opening statement with a commanding voice that filled the room. He portrayed his client as a man wrongfully accused, a victim of circumstances and a flawed investigation.

Attorney Paul: Your Honor, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I stand before you today to defend my client against these baseless allegations of fraud. The prosecution has failed to provide any concrete evidence to support their claims. We maintain that my client is innocent and has been unjustly accused.

His posture and authority in his voice were admirable.

Once Paul had concluded, Johnson stood up, his voice steady and clear. She acknowledged the defense's points, then systematically began to dismantle them, outlining the evidence against Paul's client. His arguments were concise and compelling, leaving no room for doubt about the strength of his case.

Attorney Paul: Objection, Your Honor! The prosecution is making sweeping claims without providing any substantial evidence. We have thoroughly reviewed the financial records, and there is no concrete link between my client and the alleged fraudulent activities. This is merely an attempt to tarnish their reputation.

Judge: Objection sustained. Attorney Johnson, please focus on presenting the evidence and refrain from making broad statements.

The courtroom fell silent, with the jury and spectators hanging on every word, as the two attorneys battled with their words and wit. It was a dance of logic and persuasion, showcasing the power of the legal system. The outcome was uncertain, but one thing was clear - this was a clash of titans, and only one could emerge victorious.

I didn't let the debate continue as my cellphone vibrated, and I went out to answer it.

No one else would call except for my

"best friend"!

"Hey, what time is it? Uncle is looking for you, he wants you to come home!"

"Is it Uncle or is it you?"

"N-no, you know tha-"

"Pick me up at the courthouse."

"What?! What did you do this time!?"

"Tsk, nothing, I was just watching."

"And since when did you become interested-"

"I'll wait, bye."

I ended the call before she could go on and on. I saw a familiar face getting out of his car.

The Pagani Huayra BC. It is a limited edition hypercar with a significant price tag. Dos just shook his head at me.

They're all big shots.

I crossed paths with him, but we didn't acknowledge each other and just nodded as I passed by and continued walking towards my destination.

I'm not interested in other people anyway.