Chapter 8: Drink away the pain

I walked down the sidewalk, and I felt a deep sense of regret. I kept thinking about the scene in the locker room and the pen flying through the air. I knew I had let my anger control me, and now I was worried about what would happen next.

thought about quitting my job to escape the bad work environment, but then I remembered my bills and other responsibilities. My mom’s voice in my head reminded me of the consequences of failing.

With a heavy sigh, I pushed aside thoughts of quitting and decided to find a distraction. The neon lights of a nearby bar caught my eye, promising comfort in the form of a drink.

I walked into the bar, feeling a little better with the dim, calming interior. Most of the patrons were older, but I didn’t care. Tonight, I wasn’t here to socialize; I just wanted to drown my sorrows in alcohol.

I sat on a barstool and unbuttoned the top of my shirt to feel more comfortable. The bartender approached with a warm smile, concerned by my appearance. He suggested a mild drink, but I ordered the strongest drink they had—a double shot of bourbon.

The bartender hesitated, worried about how strong it was. “Are you sure?” he asked. “It’s pretty strong.”

I snapped, “Did I stutter while ordering? Make it as strong as you can.”

The bartender nodded and brought me the bourbon. I took the shot quickly, and I could see the shock on his face. I asked for another round, and he continued to serve me.

Soon, the bartender stopped serving. “Why did you stop? Keep it coming,” I demanded.

“I think seven shots is too much,” he said.

“I’m paying for them. Just give me more,” I replied, losing patience.

“You look like you’re alone. I don’t want you passing out somewhere,” he said. “Besides, the regulars are starting to worry about you,” he added, pointing to the concerned faces of the older patrons.

Feeling their pity made me uncomfortable. I quickly paid for the drinks and left the bar.

Outside, the cold night air hit me, and I realized that seven shots of bourbon was too much. I felt dizzy and had to hold onto a light pole to stay upright. I thought about calling a taxi but decided to walk home, hoping the fresh air would help clear my head.

The walk home, usually a 30-minute stroll, felt much longer. Each step was heavy, and I struggled to keep my balance. I reached a café near my house and sat down to rest.

While sitting there, I noticed Abel in the alley across the street. He looked different, wearing a tank top and skinny jeans. He was looking at his phone when an older man in a suit came over. Abel greeted him, and when the man leaned in for a kiss, Abel turned his head so it landed on his cheek instead. They then went into the alley together.

Shocked, I decided to follow them. I took off my heels to move quietly and went into the alley, my heart racing as I tried to see what was happening.