Chapter 3: Silent cries

The days went by without any sign of the stranger, I found myself stuck in a cycle of hope and disappointment. Each evening after work at the tech company, I would go to the nightclub where we met, hoping he would show up. But night after night, the club was quiet and empty.

My obsession with finding him grew stronger. I couldn’t stop thinking about the mystery of who he was and why he had such a strong effect on me.

But as the nights went on and the club stayed empty, I started to feel frustrated. Where had he gone? Why did it seem like he had vanished without a trace, leaving only questions and unease?

Despite my efforts to ignore my obsession, I couldn’t shake the feeling that something important had changed since we last met. The club, once lively and exciting, now seemed like a ghost of its former self.

*
*
*
*

After another long day at work, I looked forward to a quiet evening at home. With tomorrow being a holiday, I was ready to relax. I flipped through the TV channels, my mind still occupied with thoughts of the stranger and the empty club. Then, a breaking news report caught my attention.

A sense of unease grew as I watched the news anchors, their faces showing sadness. When they showed a photo of the victim, I felt a chill. It was her—the blonde girl from the club, the one who had looked at me with such disdain. The report described her death in brutal detail, and I felt horrified.

Her body had been found at the back of the club, left like trash, her life taken in a cruel and senseless way. The details were too shocking to fully understand, and yet, there she was on the screen, staring back at me with empty eyes.

Feeling unsettled, I quickly changed the channel, unable to handle the disturbing images. I grabbed a glass of water from the kitchen, hoping the cool liquid would help calm me.

Returning to my chair, I rocked back and forth, trying to ease my anxiety. But no matter how hard I tried to push the thoughts away, the image of the girl's face stayed with me.

Lost in thought, the sudden ringing of my phone startled me. I hesitated before answering, dreading what news or demands might come. With a sigh, I picked up the phone.

“Hello?” I said, my voice shaky.

“It’s your mom,” came the blunt reply.

“Oh, hi Mom,” I said, trying to keep my anxiety in check.

“Have you forgotten your responsibilities again?” she scolded, her tone full of disappointment.

I winced, knowing what she meant. “I... I’ve been busy,” I said, bracing for the lecture.

“Busy? Are you too busy to send money for your sister's hospital bills and your brother's textbooks?” Her voice rose in frustration.

“I know, Mom, I’m sorry,” I said, feeling guilty. “I’ll try to send something soon.”

“You always say that,” she retorted, her frustration clear even through the phone. “You’re living the high life while we struggle back here. I sacrificed a lot to get you there, and you can’t even help out now? Don’t forget where you come from.”

“I won’t, Mom,” I promised. “I’ll do better.”

“You’d better,” she warned, her tone final. “I’m counting on you.”

I listened with a heavy heart, knowing that no matter what I said, it would never be enough for her.

When the call ended, the silence felt heavy. I sank back into my chair, my hands trembling. Tears welled up as I tried to hold back my emotions. I closed my eyes, letting the memories flood back.

I remembered leaving home full of hope and dreams for the future. But over time, those dreams faded, replaced by the harsh realities of city life.

I thought of my sister, sick in a hospital far away, and my brother, whose education was costing more and more. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t fully shield them from life’s struggles. But I hoped my sacrifices would make a difference and give them a better chance.

With a heavy heart, I whispered a prayer into the darkness, asking for strength to face the challenges ahead. I knew I would face them bravely, for the sake of those I loved most.