Chapter 10: Feeling Like The Hulk

"Jamie, you should start teaching Brooke how to play guitar!" Outburst my mom randomly. My dad scratched his head. "I may be a music teacher but-..."

"But what!? I know she would love to play an instrument, wouldn't you Brookie!" Cooed my mother as she cuddled me tightly. I couldn't stop giggling, I loved when mom gave me hugs. I also loved when she would sing to me, and as my father was a music teacher he would often grab his guitar and sing with her.

"Please daddy! I will give you all my money from the tooth fairy!" I pleaded. My dad laughed and picked me up from my mother. "Please daddy! Please!"

"Okay, okay, gosh! Sometimes you can be as annoying as your mother," he said twirling me around. My mother glared at my father, but just started laughing as she saw me giggling with excitement due to my dad playing rocket with me.

My giggles used to be so contagious, I would laugh at absolutely anything. But now my parents are dead, my giggles are no more contagious.

All of my giggles are fake now.

And as for my guitar lessons, I stopped when my dad's heart stopped. When my life stopped and just crumbled into little pieces.

My cruel reminder of reality.

~ • ~

I started strumming on the acoustic guitar I found in Mikage's office. All I did was stare at the ground, remembering the strings and when to play them. I used to know this song off by heart! Note by note! Now I don't even remember how to play any of them!

"Brooke, do you want to-..."

I could feel Nanami's eyes burning in the back of my head. I was like a charity case to her, I need to stop moping around and start smiling. Strumming my guitar, I continued to ignore Nanami's presence, which I really didn't want to do.

"Are you okay, Brooke?" She asked, as she sat down next to me. "Of course I am! I'm just playing an old tune my father taught me," I said strumming another string. "No way! You play guitar? When, how, why?"

Nanami reminded me of a hyper child. A child that I used to act like. It's kind of sad when you think about comparing both younger me and Nanami now, but she did remind me of the old me.

"I started playing guitar at 8," I explained, "My mother wanted me to play an instrument as my dad was a music teacher. I love playing the guitar for some strange reason, just like my dad." I started playing 'I'm Still Into You' by Paramore. My mom loved that song and would always play it when she got the chance to. This song started making me hum which gradually turned into me singing the chorus. I knew the lyrics thanks to my mom spending her hours singing to the song.

"I'm still into you, I'm still into you," I sang quietly, finishing the song. "WOW! Why didn't you tell me you were good at the guitar? Singing as well!?" I smiled and she lunged at me, and hugged me. "You shouldn't hide you talent," she whispered into my ear.

"Now do you want to go to town?"

~ • ~

"Nanami, I'm going to head into the hair dye shop, I'll meet you and Tomoe at the ice cream place!" I called as I wandered into the street.

She gave a thumbs up and dragged Tomoe with her into the chaotic streets. Poor Nanami, how will she be able to cope with such an annoying fox? I still can't believe the pervert had the audacity to embarrass me. I tutted and stuffed my hand in my hoodie's pouch.

I took the yens that Mikage gave to me (which I found days after he visited me) and took it out. I knew what colour I wanted, I wanted a black dye. That way I would look like a cool anime character (like Kurumi from Date A Live) and it would look less bold.