18. WHISPERS OF DARK AND ALLURING

Avya

It was brain hemorrhage and spinal cord injury. I sighed, closing the email sent by Dr. Mathur, then logged out of my account, shutting the laptop with a soft click.

Removing my reading glasses, I stretched, feeling the stiffness in my muscles from hours of sitting.

The cool evening air from the garden felt refreshing, a welcome change from the stuffy confines of the mansion.

It was risky to venture outside, but with everyone away at Vrit's wedding—my lips twisted at the thought of it—the mansion was empty.

At least, I hoped it was. I couldn't stand being cooped up in the dark basement any longer, even if it felt like a safe cocoon where the world couldn't reach me, it was suffocating me.

The email from Dr. Mathur detailed the patient's condition.

The brain hemorrhage was the result of internal bleeding within the brain tissue, most likely caused by the trauma of the accident.

The spinal cord injury was equally serious, affecting the nerves and potentially causing paralysis or loss of function. It was a complex case, one that required careful analysis and a deep understanding of neurological trauma.

Other than the medical conditions not much was mentioned about the patient.

I tucked a stray hair behind my ear, annoyed that it had escaped my bun.

I was doing my best to stay focused, but the pull of the dark basement was stronger than ever.

It was easier to stay hidden, to avoid the complications of the outside world.

But the patient came first—always.

Dr. Mathur needed my input, and it gave me something to concentrate on, a reason to keep going.

Over the past few days, I'd kept to my tasks, sticking to a monotonous routine: reading, researching, and occasionally sneaking out to visit Miss Mythila at the hospital, praying my father wouldn't find out.

And whenever I entered the kitchen, I kept my conversation to minimum.

As I walked through the garden, the air was filled with the scent of night-blooming flowers.

The stars overhead seemed distant, like they were watching from another world. It felt like a momentary escape from the chaos of my own mind, a brief respite from the darkness that constantly threatened to pull me under.

But even here, in this temporary peace, the weight of the past was never far away. I breathed in deeply, grounding myself in the present, knowing that I couldn't stay here forever.

There were things that needed my attention, battles I still had to fight. Even if I wasn't sure I had the strength to keep going, I had to try. For the patient. For Miss Mythila. And maybe, just maybe, for myself.

___________________________

And if you may ask, how I travelled to the hospital and back.

After the fiasco with Hridhaan, he ordered his bodyguard to drive me to and from the hospital when needed.

How kind of him, I thought sarcastically.

It was his way of ensuring I didn't disrupt the sanctity of his mansion any more than necessary.

I carried my laptop and reading glasses, heading back inside.

The mansion was eerily calm and dark, the kind of silence that made you feel like the walls were watching. As I walked through the main hall, I moved slowly, taking in the details I usually ignored.