Chapter 18: Chased

Now

Now

Chloe and Lisa emerged from Baroque, Lester Harbor's top-tier hair salon, their Saturday routine unfolding with familiar comfort. Lisa's balayage hair shimmered under the sun—a significant upgrade from her experimental college dyes.

"You're kidding, right? After seven years, how did it feel to see Damian?" Lisa's voice, laden with concern, broke into Chloe's daydreaming as they strolled down the vibrant street.

Chloe hesitated, tucking a lock of her freshly conditioned hair behind one ear. "I had mixed feelings, honestly. It was hard. But I needed to tell him about the baby we lost," she confessed, a poignant truth she had kept locked away.

Lisa's eyebrows drew together in a frown. "And after all that, do you still love him?"

A sigh escaped Chloe's lips. "I'll always love him, but I've done my best to let go. Therapy helped me face those demons. I'm really okay now."

Lisa nodded, her expression softening. "You're strong, girl. Don't let anyone shake that. I still can't believe Damian played a part in your job loss, though I don't think it was his intention."

They reached Lisa's car, its sleek form a testament to her success as a tech company marketing director. Chloe shrugged off the concern with practiced ease. "I'm not worried. I've sent out my CV, even got a job interview next week. But let's talk about you—how have you been?"

Lisa's face brightened, shining with bliss. "Theo proposed last night!" she exclaimed as she grasped Chloe's hand, her new engagement ring catching the light. The central diamond, set in a slim platinum band, was a brilliant-cut gem surrounded by a halo of smaller diamonds.

"No way! That's amazing, and I love your ring. It's so beautiful," Chloe gushed, her troubles eclipsed by her friend's happiness.

"It is, isn't it?" Lisa boasted, her happiness radiant.

Chloe pulled her best friend into a warm embrace. "You deserve all this happiness, Lisa."

"Will you be my maid of honor?"

"Of course, I'd love to!" Chloe beamed. But her joy was shadowed when Lisa continued, "There's just one thing. Damian will be there. He's one of Theo's groomsmen."

Chloe's heart stuttered, not with delight but dread. "What? Are you serious?"

"He's been Theo's friend for years."

Taking a deep breath, Chloe masked her initial panic with a smile. "You know what? I can handle it. It's your day, and it's going to be perfect."

Lisa grinned, her earlier excitement returning. "And hey, you can bring Chase as your date. He's really into you, and he's super cute."

The idea took hold in Chloe, stirring a quiet thrill at the prospect of venturing anew. Chase was a great guy, and maybe it was time to explore something different.