Chapter 11

Annabeth

I couldn't believe that we were actually going to Mexico. I was hoping that Alex had some stuff to heal Katrina. Gods, Alex. I hadn't seen her in years. I wonder how she's doing. How much has she changed? I don't know if she even lived in Mexico anymore.

Suddenly I thought of something: she was twelve before I ran away, so how old was she now? She's probably thirty or something. She probably has a husband and kids! The more I thought about it, the more two emotions started to churn inside me.

The emotions were worry and, to my surprise, jealousy. I often wished I could settle down, go to school, and maybe marry Percy. But no, that couldn't happen. I am a demigod and the fates and Aphrodite seem to have teamed up just to ruin my lovelife.

Suddenly we stop and I do the obvious thing: ask why we stopped.

"So why did we stop?" I asked.

"Just to change some of our cash to pesos and get a map. We can't use our money here and we need to know how to get around," Katrina replied. 

 She seemed to have gotten better on the trip. She was no longer as on edge as she was before. It was probably because she just had some time to think because the long car ride had been barren of conversation. The coffee she got at a random Starbucks probably helped to. Probably had nectar in it.  All she had to say was "a shot of nectar." The people that worked there were awesome.

We got our stuff and I got a bagel from a bakery. Katrina threw a doughnut at some guy. Which I found hilarious. The doughnut stuck to the guys face. I fell to the ground laughing.

"Run!" she hissed to us, she grabbed my jackets hood and dragged me outside. The others followed us out. "Katrina what's going on?" I asked. Katrina didn't answer. She just continued to drag me to the car.

"Dude! I stole a bagel!!" I cried punching the air.

Kylee stared at me. "That is nothing to party about." she muttered.

"It's nothing I can't party about."

Katrina shoved me into the back of the car just as a dagger zipped past her face.

"Oh my Gods!" I yelled and grabbed my own dagger.

I saw the man standing in front of us with a large knife and a handful of throwing daggers. Katrina touched her necklace and the dolphin pendant morphed into a sword. Everyone hurried and got behind us. Who was this guy?! Katrina threw her sword. The guy caught it. He grinned and Katrina just stared.

"DUDE!!!! THAT WAS MY FREAKING SWORD!!!!" she screamed starting toward him.

The guy kept smiling. I watched as Katrina did some sorta weird kick move kicking him in the face. The guy didn't even budge and he swung Katrina's sword. Katrina ducked. Tyson came running up and Katrina grabbed his hands and brought both feet up and kicked the guy in the face. The guy staggered back.

"Thanks Tyson." I heard Katrina mutter.

I stepped out from behind the car and started toward the guy. I was going to end this man.

"The creepy man is heavy," He replied, somewhat startled.

"He's an automaton," I heard Maelan say, "A pretty good one, too."

"Crap." Katrina muttered, punching the guy in the face, though she might of well have been punching a mountain.

The guy grinned and grabbed her wrist.

"HEY!" she screamed as he twisted.

I heard a sickening crunch and Katrina started screaming even louder. I saw Kylee running towards him daggers in hand yelling.