Chapter 3 - Illusion

The next day would follow in The Underground. Yet, another miniature hailstorm covered Snowdin in its entirety. Still, by then the locals were used to it, although for the time being they did rest in their little homes to avoid the extra trouble outside, thankfully, often enough for no one to notice its murky, devilish form, decomposing still, dust flew by, yes, but it was blood and guts that spilled forth more than anything else, it was an oxymoron of the monsters, an unnatural, tainted one at that, like the eternal spell of the demonic beast lurking far below...

Sans, from midnight to daybreak, had sat exhaustedly at the rough frame of his door, for the hours that had passed, he was relentlessly intent on keeping 'it' out, to such an extent that he had developed some terrible eyebags, his bones felt hollow, as without reason, even amidst the cold weather, he still sweat nervously even when the night's danger had long passed by.

Eyes monstrously agape, and pupils shrunken to the extreme, Sans' head was down, his body unmoving as if he were entirely a lifeless carcass, aside from the occasional shaking of his hands, and the dropping of his jaw, the skeleton was completely frozen like a statue, however, when the morning shined through their window, slowly and reluctantly, did they began to take back their control, mustering just enough to raise his head to gaze at his lone window, just when the light that glimmered through dimmed.

"...Last night... That beast... Could it still be there?" Sans' jaw shivered as his eyes narrowed at the glass, knowing full well what could still possibly be under it, he then, pushing away using his feet, slowly slid away from the window, staring at it intensely, not looking away for even a moment, as their breath became bated and inconsistent, the floor around them began to spin in all sorts of patterns and odd directions, their head felt nauseous yet again, as the only thing they could 'see' then were the devilish cyan eyes of that inhumane beast that lurked within that horrible night.

The same thoughts spiraled throughout his mind, sickening, how repulsively repetitive it was, it felt like tentacles were slithering all around him, piercing into his skull in every corner, a sharp, indescribable feeling overtook Sans as they then shifted their panicked gaze to their door, before making a dash for it, his footsteps thumping across the wooden floor as he grasped violently onto the door's handle, letting out a drop of sweat, as he began twisting it, which he then pushed himself out of his room...

"Sans?" Papyrus muttered, as they jumped back in surprise when Sans suddenly burst out of his room, just as he was about to go wake him up, and though Papyrus was just about ready to yell at Sans for causing what seemed to be yet another prank to shock him, Papyrus stopped the moment he glared at his brother, they looked disheveled, and though they wore their usual clothing, it definitely seemed more ragged than before, and their eyes had larger bags than before, in fact he had never seen his brother like this, it was almost an entirely different skeleton, truly it was a horrific sight for Papyrus, who looked almost just as stressed as Sans was at that moment.

"...Are you alright, Sans?" Papyrus snapped out of his thoughts, and questioned out of worry, stretching out their hands as they took one small step towards Sans who looked up at Papyrus, as his face was overgrown with fear, yet they tried their best not to show it to their brother as their eyes traveled back unwillingly to one of the many windows of their house, and for a short moment, Sans could swear he saw something peak into their interior, something black and monstrous, something akin to a demonic lovecraftian beast of the sea, whether it was his mind playing tricks on him or it being legitimate, it did not matter, at that point Sans only wanted to scream, bloodcurdlingly so, as he rested one of his hands on his nape to fight the urge.