Chapter 6 - A Tell-Tale Heart

...

"Brother... Why?"

...

"DON'T COME ANY CLOSER YOU DAMN MURDERER!"

...

"Sans... As leader of the Royal Guard, I'll dutifully execute you for murdering Papyrus... You sick bastard!"

...

"Oh? Sans, darling! It's a joy to see you here for once, could you help me with this new little glam project I'm working on for my show? Trust me, it's worth your time-!"

...

"S-Sans? W-What happened to Mettaton..? Where are they? Why are you covered in so much... Dust and blood..?"

...

"Ngh... I do not know what prompted this, Sans... For so long I have trusted you as the Judge... Why? ...I suppose I failed everyone yet again, I failed you, Sans."

"I should have never become King if I could not even save you."

...

"Golly, Sans... Looks like you've really lost yourself, you finally took my word, huh?"

"It's kill or be killed in the end."

...

"No."

"A man told me it was the exact opposite."

"A bete noire."

"Kill, and eventually, be killed."

"...I think that's whats truly right, at this point."

...

Sans strode through the now desolate plains of the Underground City, they were sharp and idle in each step they took, not moving even an eye astray from the path before them, they shuffled side-to-side as if struggling even to keep a straight balance, their eyes were exhausted, their bones thinner than ever and drained of stamina, their magic at its lowest, their sockets like the endless void itself as The Underground City was only filled with the echoing footsteps of Sans.

They were covered in blood as well, dust, and guts, all that he had witnessed, everyone who perished before him, it broke every rule he knew, and everything he had come to believe had subsequently been taken away, was it because of him? No, surely, it was because of everyone else, after all, he was the innocent one... So even in spite of the blood and dust that covered him now, it was the blood of the guilty, therefore he was the savior here, he was the victim turned hero, Sans thought, desperately.

He felt the beating of his non-existent heart pound faster than ever with each step he took, his head began to ache once more but he dismissed all of those things, seeing them as no more than the limiters that held him back from delivering justice to everyone else sooner, yet one thing he could not brush aside was... That wretched sight of Papyrus' dead body, why was it that everyone he had murdered, ripped apart with his bare hands, had merely dusted away, peacefully, however, his brother... No, thoughts like that were just another limiter, if he wanted to be happy and free now, he needed to remove those things.