Chapter 9 - Panic

Soon after the battle between the winged and fractured skeleton, the next day would arise, yet where it would be morning for other universes, was merely darkness and thorns within the universe melded to Nightmare's influence...

In a straight posture akin to an oldened tree, Nightmare stood before the exit doorway out of his castle, observing its designs and shapes quietly as his singular eye glared in boredom, yet its expression akin to one reminiscing as a blank sullen look overtook their face, however, like as always, was quick to return back into a satisfied smirk as Nightmare raised his head.

"...You don't have any jobs for today, I'll be doing this one myself..." Nightmare said to Insanity, who was standing behind him, stretching out a hand as if about to ask something, but with the stiff smile and expression on their face, their question had now been answered.

"Feel free to rest anywhere here you please, take it as an extra reward for your performance yesterday," Nightmare politely suggested, as Insanity returned his hand to his sides, before reluctantly nodding, silently like a mouse as they swiftly turned around, and began walking away.

"Sans." Nightmare said, as Insanity quickly stopped at a moment's notice, posture turning erect out of surprise.

"I'm quite proud of you."

Insanity's eyes only shrunk and shook, their mouth agape yet unwillingly smiling in horror as Nightmare only snickered to himself, as the exit doors opened to the flick of his hand, releasing a sound gust of wind into the castle as he marched away, leaving Insanity there in the dark and oldened castle, silently cackling to themselves, scratching at their head, as it was not long after they fell to their knees, just as the doors shut, the last of the light from the outside dissipating.

...

Leaving his castle, Nightmare strolled through the fields of the abandoned universe, hands in his pockets, the tall grass swaying and dancing with the wind as the withering flowers crumbled, the remaining dust swept away by the wind to become one with it, he took out his left hand from his pocket, gazing down at it before looking back up.

"I'm still at 2/10th of the magic I need to go forward with my plan, though that Sans managed to speed it up a bit... That should suffice, after all, the good things only come to those who are willing to wait..." Nightmare then clenched that very fist calmly as he heaved out an almost sarcastic sigh to himself, shaking his head.

"But I'll still likely need more 'batteries' for the shortest process possible... Well, I've already had my fun with the first... I guess I should be straightforward with the second then," Nightmare looked up into the stormy, thunderous sky as he could feel the gentle, showering rain pounce on his black and monstrous body as he closed his eye, letting the water splash onto him.

"Ah, what magnificent rain, even amidst the roaring thunders... Much like that poem of loss and madness... Dreams and Nightmares, they never truly were opposites, they were always the same..." Nightmare smiled as he exhaled through his nose, before slowly opening his eye.

"I was right, It appears that brat's habits managed to seep in a little."

"How shameful of I..."

Each moment, each second of the once pure and clean Nightmare, he saw it all, their life he had witnessed from deep inside them, like an oldened film reel, yet visualizing and showing itself before his very eyes in unnatural detail, up until the very point he overtook them... Though whatever he was and the real Nightmare were two completely different beings, there was no doubt they were, contradicting, also the same.