Chapter 10 - All-In

"My name is Nightmare."

"Dream gave me this notebook from the village's library... So right now I'm deciding to use it as a diary, Dream said it's a good way to relax myself..."

"I-I don't really know much about myself, actually... Uh."

"Not in the way where I can't remember anything of my past..."

"It's more like I don't know what I want to do..."

"I-I have a brother, Dream. He's a good person, I know that for sure."

"So why am I so envious of him?"

"...I was named 'Nightmare' all because I was the polar opposite of my brother..."

"I don't think that's fair."

"Wouldn't it be fair if..."

"Just like my brother, I was loved and cherished too?"

"I want to be cared for as well."

"..."

"Maybe I do have a wish."

"But it's a wish that can never be granted..."

"...There's this dark, distorted voice in my head..."

"It keeps telling me things..."

"Talking to me when I'm alone..."

"I think it's quite comforting."

...

"You mind if I take the dance floor first... Your majesty?" Sau said, in a provoking manner as he rested his deck of cards in his right hand, using his other arm to place his chin comfortably.

"...Hm." Nightmare muttered in his thoughts as his eyes traveled to the deck of cards, observing their placement, size, and amount, looping it all back in his head again... Eventually, albeit out of the blue, he let out a light chuckle, smiling mischievously as the two concept embodiments locked eyes, letting off a presence akin to thunder and fire clashing amongst each other.

"Sure, do your best on the first move, prince of suffering," Nightmare answered as he lightly slammed his hand in front of the deck of cards, challengingly as the moment he made the provocation, Sau took out a card somewhere in the middle of his deck, and placing it down on the first card on the table, and much to Nightmare's subtle surprise, Sau played an Eight of Clubs. An eight is the most powerful card in the game, therefore Sau must have something up his sleeve, Nightmare thought.

"I'd like to change the suit to Diamonds," Sau commanded, as Nightmare quietly nodded in response, their eye scrolling through their deck as they hummed to themselves in their mind, before taking out an Ace of Diamonds just as Sau had requested, placing it on the now covered Eight of Clubs.

Nightmare, from the other side of the table, keenly observed Sau's hand movements, his fidgeting, and the slight twitching of his fingers, it was as if he could not contain his excitement for something... How childish, Nightmare thought as alas Sau made his move, and this time, placing an Ace of Spades, as Nightmare raised an eye out of intrigue.