CHAPTER 18

Chapter 18

                   Dean’s pov

“Mi sey she determine sey she a come home wid mi afta mi a push har off, Sandrine face dey dey long and just through mi dey round di man dem mi send Sandrine home and come round wid har. Mi tell miself sey mi just a mek she stay till day light out den mek she gwane a har yard, cause mi done plan sey mi a cut har off. Mummy, mi tek off mi clothes an’ lie dung fi sleep, she a talk talk to mi but mi nah answer har, likkle afta a she dat tek time get up offa di bed and mi open mi eye dem a watch har ina di darkness. She bend dung a di bedside and mi know a di box a money dem she gone ina.

  Mi lie dung dey an’ a sey to miself anytime mi falla mi mind mi caan guh wrong yuh zimmi? Cause mi done a pree sey mi money a miss up and other things. Mi ease up offa di bed and flick on di light, tsk, mi sey yuh should a see har face and di money dem spread out a grung wey she tek out. She jumps up frightened, tsk, mi sey a gi har two hard earsers mi hand dem feel like dem bruk. She start bawl and a cuss bout, if mi did a gi har money, she wouldn’t have fi a theif mi, and mi nah treat har good mi a treat har like door mat. Mi sey 'dat is exactly what yuh is', she start fling off mi things dem offa di dresser and a bawl out loud and a gwane.

  Mi neva wan’ lick har again, but mi a tell yuh sey she a gwane awful ino. Mi shub har out a mi room and tek up di house key, mi sey everything she a pass she a draw and a push dung. A get mad and a start fist har, a through mi memba sey she a mi babymada and mi nuh waan kill har, mi stop lick har. Mi sey 'Trina, it done between me and yuh, yuh can guh do anything yuh waan do and fuck any man yuh want. Guh through di gate and don’t come back.'

  Mi tek up di key dem from whichpart dem drop pon di floor and a walk guh to di door, mummy a di big plasma tv wey mount upon di wall di gal fling har phone ina ino. Mi grab har and push har pon di door while me a open it and den mi push har out pon di verandah. She a try fight mi fi guh back inside suh mi push har up againts the verandah grill, open it and push har rass out. Mi nuh have nutn fi duh wid har and if she really a breed as wey she sey, it's not for me. She and Sandrine probably a duh like Keisha, di only thing is dat nuh body nuh ketch dem yet.” Antoine relays to his mother.

  I should be in the kitchen cooking, but I turned down the burners on the stove and was eavesdropping on Antoine’s phone call with his mother. He had paused to listen to what she was saying, and I was too far away to hear her side of the conversation, and I felt like I was missing that juicy side of the gossip. Trina was pregnant again for him, my mind drummed.

“A guess she hear wha a gwane round yah from smaddy, because when mi open di gate and a push Trina fi guh through, a Grung alone reach round here and none a di man dem neva round a da side yah. If she did stay a har yard and mind fi har business she would a have di baby, mi nah gi har back to har suh she can gwane guh duh wey she waan duh to.” He tells her.

  That was Sandrine he's talking about. I perceive and went to check on the pots, the gravy was almost dried out of the mutton and I quickly poured some water back on it. His money count had risen when I went into his safe, there were two new banger phones and half a book of new numbers written down. I snapped photos of every page, took two wads of cash, locked it back, and climbed down. I had taken down all my pictures from my social media apps and replaced them with photos of beautiful sceneries. My new phone and new number will not be given to anyone when I leave this community, and I would apply for six form at another school.

  One month later..

  It’s been over a month now and I had managed to avoid him during my last monthly period days, I had gotten some hard fuck from him the day after my period had ended and was fearful of it coming back down. Our house was painted, fully furnished, and we have applied for the internet in Mummy’s name. We have managed to take most of our possessions there, and now I can hardly wait on graduation the following week to leave here for good.

  He came inside, and I shared out our dinner, we sat down together at the dining table, and he said, “Mi glad mi neva affi cook today, mi neva have nuh vibes. Thanks again, Ms. Jennifer taught yuh well.”

“You’re welcome,” was all I said.

  His conversation with his mother was still grating on my nerve. What woman listens to their son speak so badly about women and knows that he abuses them yet does nothing? I don’t want to judge her, but she must know how her son treats women. What if any man should treat her or her daughter like that? I sighed and held up my head, only to realize Antoine was staring at me.

“A wha yah sigh suh over?” He asked.

  You bumbo-ole, I said in my mind.

“My end of term exams were a bit hectic.” I half lied.

  My period was due between today or tomorrow, and I really wanted to get a break away from him. I hope it came and finished before graduation day because I wanted to feel totally free.

“Yuh sister can drive?” He asked, breaking through my thoughts.

“Yeah,” I replied.

“She has har driver’s license?” He questioned.

“Yes.” I answered, hoping he would just reveal why he was asking me these questions.

He cleared his throat and said. “Mi a guh rent a car and she can carry you and yuh mada. Mi a rent it fi three days suh yuh can go a di graduation dinner after and den drive guh shopoing or somn the next day before mi return it.”

“That would be cool.” I said, putting a forkful of food into my mouth.

That night, I was glad to get a break and sleep at my home, my belly hurt, and I knew it was my period. Fuck whosoever he was with and fuck him for thinking he can use every woman, he was helping me on my path of achievement. I woke and went into the kitchen where my mother and sister was talking.

“Him sey she sey, she a spen’ another month.” Cam said, and I picked up on their conversation.

“And him glad, she a spend and a sport him and him a get crotches. Mi glad yuh nuh tell him sey we a move and I hope we can get him van fi borrow, you have to decide wether yuh still waan carry on the relationship wid him when she lef an' gone.” Mummy said to Cam.

  She nodded a bit sad and my mother said to me. “Your whore have Sandrine round a fi him yard last night, suh him mek yuh tan a fi yuh. Ole crosses, come dung graduation. Fada God, mi know yuh nah sleep.”

  She held her hands up in the air as she said the latter. It was probably better if I didn’t know if he had another woman at his yard or not. I felt hurt, embarrassed, used, and betrayed, and because I can’t do anything to help my situation at present, I had to just suck it up. Hopefully, all will go well, and I will be able to leave right after my graduation dinner. Without ever looking back here.

  He took me to the hairdresser on the day of my graduation and ordered the hairdresser to cream out my hair then styled it. Our conversation three days before up at his clothes store was a bit bitter. “Yah see yuh period? Yuh dey pon contraceptive?” He had asked.

“No!” I had replied, and from he dropped me off at home that night, this is the first time since then I’m seeing him. Not wishing to anger him, I allowed the hairdresser to do my hair. Surprisingly, he stayed throughout the whole process, then took me home after.

  “See you there,” he said when he reached my gate.

“Okay.” I say like it didn’t bother me the way he was ruling my life, but with my hopes set in leaving, I exit his car with my hair bouncing lightly against my back.

To be continued…