CHAPTER 28

Chapter 28

                  Antoine’s pov

  “Daddy! Daddy!”

  “Uhmn?”

“Mi waan pee-pee, ina e bathroom dark.”

   I woke up fully as E.E started calling "daddy" again, I got off the bed and went to switch on the bathroom light for her. The pale morning light shown through the curtains from outside, I lay back on my bed feeling sleepy still. E.E. came out from the bathroom and gazed around the room, I closed my eyes and groaned when my phone rang.

“Grung, wey yah chap so early?” I answered, asking.

“Up mi don, Sandrine and har muma dey right yah suh a stress mi, sey yuh tek wey di likkle girl and she haffi go a school because she have test.” He greets and informed me.

“Mek she come a di gate fi har.” I told him.

“A’right.” He said, then the call ends.

  The only reason why I’m lenient is because she takes good care of E.E, she always kept her clean and properly groomed, and I couldn’t fault her for that. I went for the bag of things I had packed out of the barrel for E.E, took the money I was going to give her to buy the deep freeze, and went downstairs.

“E.E, come.” I called my daughter, who was looking at and admiring the things in the house.

  I took out the dolly I had brought for her and handed it to her. Her eyes opened wide and sparkled delightfully.

  “You like it?” I asked her, and she beamed and nodded with her attention fully on the doll.

  The camera screen beside the panel that opens the gate was on, it showed me Sandrine standing at the gate with E.E’s uniform and school bag. I opened the verandah grill and went outside with E.E. behind me, I pressed the button to open the gate and stepped outside with E.E.

“Morning.” Sandrine said, her face seemed like she had not slept last night.

“A hope yuh can manage dah bag here.” I told her and bend to kiss and hug E.E.

“Daddy love yuh, be a good girl at school today yuh hear mi?” I told and ask her.

  “Yes daddy ” She replied with her interest only for her new doll.

  I saw Sandrine’s mother standing some distance away, I guess Grung told her not to pass there. He was sitting and smoking under the tree close by, and she knew better than to start him up. I stood up, took the money from my pocket, handed it to Sandrine, and told her. “Si di money here fi buy di deep freeze, anything mi daughter want call mi an’ mek mi know. Mi done wid yuh, a wish yuh all di best wid yuh new man.”

  She took the money from my hand and murmur. “Thanks.” She pocketed it, hung di uniform on the front of her blouse, and lifted the bag.

“Mummy! Come help mi.” She called her mother.

  I went inside my yard and locked the gate, I made breakfast and carried to where Grung was sitting outta road and sat down. I gave him his, and we began to eat and drink.

  “Bredda yuh always stay a mile and throw di sugar ina e tea.” Grung complained.

  “Next time mi mek mi breakfast, mi stay ina mi house and have it by miself.” I said, sipping the tea that tasted fine.