Chapter 27

The sun was warm against my cheek when I woke up but didn't want to open my eyes. I was on my side, cuddled against something soft and warm. I knew that I didn't want to face reality yet. That might make me feel like a coward but life is hard and difficult. There was too much at stake to go into Ever Rest, and even it I did, Amara would immediately destroy any enemies (coughs, Jade) or any problems in her way.

I sighed, enjoyed the warmth against my skin and the breeze when I felt something move underneath my head. I opened my eyes to see molten gray fur and a glorious black mane framing a feline face with lethal-looking teeth poking from the snout as the lions snored slightly. A purr vibrated from his chest, rattling his whole body. Silas' lion was a beautiful creature. Powerful legs that could crush man easily cradled my body gently in a protective hold. Claws the size of my forearm peeked between the toes of his Kitty paws. His toe beans were a soft pink, making me want to squish them so much. His middle toe bean on his left front paw was black, so different than the others and it was so difficult not to poke his paw. The heat he produced was almost stifling but reminded me of a warm blanket that I just wanted to bury myself in.

Sang, squeeze the beans, Amara whispered.

I rolled my eyes so hard it felt like my eyes were going to pop out of my skull. Amara, no. That sounds so inappropriate.

Amara sniffed. I never said was an angel. I'm just being myself which is purr-fection.

Oh, hush. Besides, when did Silas get here?

About an hour ago. Prince Gabriel needed so they switched places. Amara drawled. Her tone was unbothered, but I could sense a teasing tilt to her voice. Just imagine, sang. Instead of waking up next to one body, you could have two. Or three. She let out a scandalized gasp. Or fifteen.

I snorted. What's up with all these innuendos, Amara? You've never been like this.

A hum was released from my Spirit. I resonate with them, Sang. Their spirits and I get along. That means that most of the time, our humans can become friends and even more.

I crossed my arms, letting the rocking motions of Silas' breathing move me. So what? You're interested in them romantically. Does that mean I have to be romantically attracted to them?

No, Amara said empathically. Spirit's emotions may influence their human counterpart but never do we force people to love or lust after someone. We are the what people say - we love to look, but never to fuck.

I let out a scandalized gasp. Amara! No one says that.

Amara rolled her eyes. I wouldn't know, Sang. I'm not exactly conversing with others a lot. Anyway, we Spirits are what you would call asexual. We may love to look and can touch each other, but most of us aren't exactly interested in sex. Whatever you feel apart from me nudging you to be around them is all you, love. Like I said, you can belong with them only if you want to. Not me.

I frowned, wondering how would Spirits multiply. Amara probably noticed me thinking down that path and snorted, amused. We don't multiply in that way, Sang. We are part of the universe, energy beings. If Spirits love each other, we share our energy together to make a Spirit. We don't really need to have copulate like humans to have one of our own.

Huh, I thought to myself. Despite living with Amara alone, there were some topics that never really came up. It was never a relevant topic. It didn't help that I barely had any human or spirit interaction. So do Spirits never do it with humans?

Amara shrugged, curling up in a ball. Her mouth opened in a yawn and she smacked her lips in a tired way. Spirits can, but there will never be a child between a spirit and human. Our energy cannot be shared like that with a human. They just don't mix.