Chapter 14

The message I was anxiously awaiting was from the one person I never thought I'd willingly contact - Lucian Drago, my father's greatest rival in the cutthroat corporate world

The message I was anxiously awaiting was from the one person I never thought I'd willingly contact - Lucian Drago, my father's greatest rival in the cutthroat corporate world. Despite his questionable tactics, his cunning intellect was legendary.

If my gambit worked out, we would gain the time needed to delay the Shareholders' Meeting. I just needed him to agree to our daring plan. This could be the breakthrough we so desperately required.

I rapidly typed out a response to Drago's message, my fingers trembling slightly with anticipation.

'I have a proposition that could severely undermine my father's stranglehold at SteelCo,' I wrote. 'But it requires your... particular skills and resources.'

I hit send and held my breath, awaiting his reply. Drago was renowned for his insatiable hunger to gain any advantage over my family's empire. Surely, he would be intrigued. Right?

The seconds ticked by agonizingly until finally, three gray dots appeared, indicating he was typing a response.

'Go on...' came his succinct reply.

I smirked, picturing the ravenous gleam in his eye, like a shark scenting blood in the water. Quickly, I laid out the basics of my plan to delay the impending meeting and sow confusion within the ranks. However, I kept some critical details close to my vest—I needed to ensure he was fully committed before revealing everything.

When I finished, I sent it off with a simple: 'Well?'

The reply was nearly instantaneous. 'I'm listening...'

My smile widened. I had him hooked, line and sinker. Carefully, I relayed more specifics, explaining how I possessed incriminating evidence—enough to cast doubt over the entire board and executive leadership.

However, I clarified that releasing such information before the meeting could undermine any potential momentum. 'Far better to delay the proceedings until the optimal moment to unleash the bombshell revelations.'

'And let me guess...' Drago's response dripped with dark amusement. 'That's where I come in? To engineer this delay you desire? You certainly are a devious one, Ms. Steelman.'

I rolled my eyes at his condescending tone but didn't take the bait. 'Can you handle it or not? Time is of the essence here.'

A pause, then: 'Of course I can manage it. But I'll require some... assurances from you in return. Considerable assurances.'

I frowned. Assurances? That didn't sound promising. 'Like what, exactly?' I typed warily.

'Let's discuss the details in person, over dinner. Tonight, 8 p.m., at The Belvedere. I'll make the reservations.'

My gut twisted, but I pushed aside my trepidation. I was too close to making this audacious gambit a reality. If having to endure an evening in Drago's unsavory company was the price, so be it.