CHAPTER 1 | BEGINNING

It was a rainy Friday night and I inhaled the crisp smell of wet pines outside of my window. My clammy hands clutched the steel rim of the window seal. I was supposed to go out with my friends tonight, however they canceled at the last minute, presumably due to the rain. I had already told my online friends I wasn't going to be active.

I twirled my hair into a corkscrew with my finger. I could be (and should be) studying or sleeping right now. But it was just so much easier to zone out and try to push the thought of college out of my mind.

I hopped on my laptop and looked at the true crime forum I frequented. Nothing interesting today, sadly. Then I want to my personal messages to talk to my best friend whom I didn't really know. All I knew was he went by the alias of Smiggles.

Smiggles: Hey, Y/N. How is the trip with your friends?

not.y/nz.wurld: Its storming quite a bit where I am so they canceled on me :(

Smiggles: I guess it truly isn't Y/Ns world. It all makes sense now!

not.y/nz.wurld: Oh shut up D:<

Smiggles: Just saying.

not.y/nz.wurld: Your literally addicted to DDR

Smiggles: *You're

not.y/nz.wurld: You win

Smiggles: Hah!

Smiggles: Im going through my Donky Kong 64 playthrough again. Sorry if I dont respond frequently.

not.y/nz.wurld: Ew, Donky Kong. He's ugly and annoying. Also, don't be sorry for not responding frequently, you know I dont really care. I understand.

Smiggles: You havent played it, have you?

That cracked a smile. Like his messages always do.

not.y/nz.wurld: Well, no, but I hate Donky Kong so I dont need to know the plot.

Our conversations dragged on for the rest of the night until he presumably fell asleep. I need to join him, Im exhausted.