Prolouge

The day that would later be known as the Day of Tragedy started off as a lovely spring morning. The birds sang and children danced in the streets, preparing for the summer solstice. No one would have suspected anything amiss, not until the dark clouds began to hover on the horizon.

I remember that day, though it took some time. I remember how my sister and I wore matching white dresses, much to her frustration and my satisfaction, how my brother, fourteen at the time, stood at our side, holding his sword like he'd seen the guards do. He fancied himself our protector, a knight in shining armor.

I remember when Mama called us into the sewing room and handed each of us a neatly wrapped gift. Her eyes had been lined with silver, but I hadn't paid much attention, as I was only six at the time. I was much more focused on the present in my hand. I unwrapped quickly, paying no mind to the mess I was making of the pretty paper. Aurora, however, unwrapped her gift with elegant precision.

My gift was a simple but beautiful pendant, encrusted with sapphires. Aurora had received a pair of shimmering diamond earrings and Brandon had gotten a sword with a ruby encrusted hilt.

"Thank you, Mama!" We cried in joy, each of us fascinated with the gift we had received.

"Listen, my children, these are not mere ordinary gifts. They will protect you, more than you will hopefully ever know." Mama said, hugging us.

"Do you mean magic, Mama?" I asked, still young enough to believe in the fairytales I read.

"Exactly, my little swan." Mama replied, fastening the necklace around my neck.

"That's foolish, Ana. Magic only exists in the Fae lands," Aurora insisted, ever the petulant teenager.

"Hush, Rory!" Brandon elbowed my sister, who glared at him.

"Magic is here, in these lands, Aurora. Do you not remember our heritage?" Mama asked, pulling her hair back to reveal her slightly pointed ears.

"Mama, do you mean to say that you have magic?" I asked, transfixed.

But Mama only winked and said, "Perhaps."

Suddenly, the door to the sewing room swung open. Papa stood at the door, surrounded by guards, his expression grim.

"Elaine, it is time," he said, simply.

Mama froze, her eyes pinned on the windows that faced the harbor. "Are you positive?"

Papa nodded. "We must go."

"What is wrong?" I asked, confused at my father's sudden appearance.

"Nothing, little swan. Come, my darlings," Mama grabbed Aurora's and my hand, "we must hurry."
The five of us hurried down the corridor, heading towards the library. Guards surrounded us, their swords at the ready. Once we reached the library, Papa led us to a door I had never seen before. It opened to a drafty tunnel. Cobwebs lined the walls and dust scattered in our wake.

We began to walk faster, a silent urgency that even I understood. Suddenly, I tripped on my white gown and fell to the ground, skinning my knee.

Papa swooped me off the ground and held me to his chest, carrying me down the remainder of the tunnel. The tunnel opened up onto a dock at the harbor, surrounded by the cliffs off the coast.

We heard shouting behind us and I saw soldiers in black and silver uniforms fighting our guards. More soldiers stood between us and Mama and my siblings.

"Papa, what is going on?" I was scared, pressing my face into my father's shoulder.

"Get them to the boat, Elain!" My father yelled to my mother, ignoring my question.