Rowan

I rode through Delia in what appeared to be a lavish carriage. Indigo had let me borrow her old, run down carriage that I had decorated to look luxurious. I wore a pink gown that was simple and unnoticeable while still being respectable. It was not nearly as grand as the gowns the ladies of the court would be wearing, but it would have to do.

I eyed the glittering streets of the neighborhood surrounding the palace. It was an extremely appealing illusion that the Imperial Family presented to the rest of the world. No visiting dignitaries would venture deep enough into the city to see the slums, only drunken noblemen would find themselves there. No one would question the quality of Bellonan rule as long as the Marble Quarter was beautiful, who cared about the Smokehouse that took up the majority of the city.

I pulled at the collar of my dress, unused to the heat of Delia. It had been so long since I had ventured south of Zahav and Bellonan velvet was not nearly as cool as Andarnan silk.

"Almost there, Lady." The driver said. I had driven the carriage and hired him once I reached the center of the city. He was necessary for my disguise, as was the dress and the name. Bellona was an empire of illusions and so I would become one.

We arrived at the palace and the driver helped me out of the carriage.

"Thank you, sir," I said, pressing a coin into his hand. "Please bring it around to the carriage house."

"Yes, m'lady."

As the driver drove away, I stood taller. There was no going back. As of today, I was a lady of the court.

It was surprisingly easy to get into the palace. No one second guessed my presence, I looked every bit the baroness I claimed to be. My hair was pinned up by jeweled pins and my face was painted garishly bright. Tacky was expected from lower nobles. I knew my blue eyes would stick out but hopefully no one would notice.

A servant led me to the apartment of the Baroness of Manes. The servant girl was noticeably Andarnan with the red hair and defined features many of our people bore. I slipped her a coin and she pursed her lips.

"Lady, I cannot take this," she said, with a clear look of shock on her face.

"Please," I said in Andarnan, the familiar language so much softer than the sharp language of the Bellonans. "I need to get a message to Madame Crepin."

She nodded, understanding filling her eyes. "If you need anything, ask for Luiza."

I slipped her a piece of paper, along with another coin. Luiza scampered off with treasonous information in her hand.

And then I walked into the apartment of a dead woman.

The Baron and Baroness had died in a tragic accident when their carriage had been attacked by bandits. Because Manes was so far north, the news had not yet reached the capital. Linus's men had intercepted the message and tomorrow the palace would receive word that the Baron had perished and I would have to learn that my fake husband had died. People always trust a mourning woman.

I surveyed my new home. The sitting room was lavishly furnished, as were the three bedrooms. The high ceilings made me feel miniscule and the stone walls made the rooms slightly less stifling than outside. Toys filled the room and a small nursery was decorated in pale pinks and blues.

It was a family home and I felt like an intruder. I did not pity the Baron or Baroness, but they had children. Little girls who would now grow up orphans just as I had. Maybe it was only fair, but I still felt guilty.

A servant girl came in carrying freshly pressed linens. This one was Bellonian

"Excuse me, but I need to meet with a seamstress. None of my gowns are suitable for this weather," I said, trying to summon the accent I'd heard wealthy patrons of the White Raven use.

The girl nodded. "I'll make an appointment with Madame Moira."

Once I was alone, I changed out of my gown and opened the Baroness's closet. I would have to go to the banquet hall and I would need to dress for the occasion. I found a green gown that was simpler than the gowns worn at the Andarnan Court, but lavisher than anything I had worn in years.

I found the Baroness's jewelry box and draped an emerald necklace over my chest and put on matching earrings. I looked every bit the wealthy but modest noblewoman I had heard the Baroness had been.

I couldn't shake the feeling I was walking into a lion's den as I approached the banquet hall.

But of course I was, but it was my den and I planned to take it back.