Rowan

I snuck through the city, ignoring the whistles from the drunken patrons of the many brothels that lined the slums of Zahav. Unfortunately, I was used to it. I had grown up in one of these very fine establishments, raised by the courtesans. I used to hide behind the curtains in the parlor and watch the women dance. I had not understood why they danced, so I loved it. I had found it beautiful.

Now, I walked into the very same club, the White Raven, but this time daggers were tucked into my boots. This time, I was deadly.

I pushed past the wealthy patrons in their fine, wrinkled, clothes and courtesans in dresses that could barely be called a dress, and headed towards the bar.

"Hey, Ro." Ambrose said from behind the bar. "The usual?"

I nodded.

"How've you been?" he asked as he placed a glass of honey wine in front of me.

"Fine." Conversation with Ambrose felt stilted and awkward. As if one year apart had shattered our decade long friendship.

"Good." An awkward silence settled around us. "Look, I don't know why you keep coming back here, but you shouldn't."

"Gee, thanks, Ames," I replied, pretending that his words didn't hurt.

"I don't mean it that way. But you got out, Rowan. You fought tooth and nail to get out and you did, so why come back?"
"Not that it's any of your business, but I'm here for a meeting." I turned my back to Ambrose and looked around the crowded parlor. "How are the girls?"
"They're good. Business has been good. Indigo's thinking of expanding."

"Don't mention I was here, please. All I'll get is a lecture from her." I played with my hair absentmindedly.

"I won't." Silence again. "It's nice to see you."

"You too, Ames."

Suddenly, a girl twirled her way over to me. "Rowan!" Odette squealed, throwing her arms around me.

"Hey, Odette!" I laughed.

"I'm so glad you're here!" Odette grinned up at me.

I looked her up and down, noting her feathered, white dress that barely covered her chest. Her tiny feet bore white ballet slippers and her white blonde hair was pushed back with a feathered crown.

She looked just like a swan.

A swallowed the rush of remorse and guilt that suddenly filled my body. Odette was a courtesan now, her sixteenth birthday was last month.

"You look beautiful, Odette." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a purple velvet suit. "I have to go."

I found the man in the purple suit sitting at a table towards the back of the room.

"Linus." I sat down in the chair across from him.

"Lovely to see you again, Rowan." Linus smiled, and I resisted the urge to wince. A large scar ran down the middle of his face and whenever he smiled he looked as if his face was being split in half.

"You too." I took a sip of the wine. I knew better than to ask why he wanted to meet.

"You've made quite a name for yourself."

"That's why I'm here, right?"

"Who's to say I didn't just want to catch up with my favorite student?"

"Come on, Linus. I thought you knew me. I can sense bullshit from a mile away."

Linus chuckled. "I have a job for you, but it's top secret."

"Aren't they all? Besides, I'm done with that line of work"

"This is serious, Rowan. And you'll be glad to do this one." Linus replied.

"Interesting. My lips are sealed." I took a sip of wine.

"You better make sure of that, for the sake of Andarna." Linus's eyes were dark, burning with a fiery passion I did not expect from a man of his stature.

I shot up in my seat, forgetting about my predatory act. He had caught my attention and he knew it.

"I have information. About the royal family."

"Don't fuck with me, Linus." I slipped a dagger out from my boot, just in case anyone was listening.

"I swear to the Goddess, Rowan Farrow, I found her."

I leaned forward, fighting tears. "Tell me everything."

An hour later, I left the club, drunk on the knowledge I had gained. The queen was alive, as were the princesses.

And it was my job to find them.