Rowan

I knew her as soon as I spotted her. Of course, she had changed. She was older, no longer the little girl I had known. No, she was a princess now, even if she didn't know it.

Throughout the banquet, I made smalltalk with the girl, Lady Cornelia, next to me. I hated to admit it, but she was frustratingly sweet. I wanted to hate her, but she was possibly the kindest person I'd ever met.

I kept half an eye on Anastasia, watching her every move. Every time she laughed, sighed, or frowned, I noticed. So many of her mannerisms were familiar and so many were foreign.

As soon as she stood up from the table, I stood. "I think I'm going to retire to my chambers," I said to Cornelia, then hurried out of the room. I needed to get to the Royal Wing, but my being there would be suspicious.

An idea struck me and I slipped out of the banquet hall. I removed my necklace from my neck and made my way towards the Royal Wing.

"Excuse me," I said to a servant girl carrying a bundle of peonies, "the Princess loaned me this necklace and I'd like to return it to her."

"I can bring it to Her Highness." The girl offered.

"No, I don't want to trouble you. Besides, I'd like to thank her for letting me wear such a beautiful necklace."

"Of course, m'lady. Her's is the second door on the right."

When I saw which room that led to, I bit back a laugh. They had kept her in the same rooms?

Once I reached her door, I realized the faults in my plan. Firstly, I had no idea how Anastasia would react to seeing me, how much she remembered. Secondly, she might not even be there. Thirdly, I had no plan.

I swore under my breath. My excitement had overruled all logic I possessed and made me rush into this. But it was too late to turn back now, so I knocked on the door.

A woman in a maid's uniform opened the door. She was young, but her face was lined with a lifetime of worry. Her eyes were heavy and sad, burdened with wisdom she was too young to possess.

Her gray blue eyes!

"May the sun greet you kindly," I said in Andranan, careful to keep my voice low.

"May the moon-" the girl started, before stopping abruptly. Her eyes narrowed. "Who are you?"

"Rory, it's me," I whispered, trying to force myself to remain calm, just in case.

Aurora grabbed my arm and yanked me inside the room.

"What was that for?" I exclaimed, confused.

Aurora threw her arms around me and began to cry. I was taller than her now, a fact that was both funny and sad.

I let her cry, tearing up myself. Aurora was alive. My cousin was alive. My family was alive.

My cousin was getting snot all over me.

Suddenly, she pulled away. "What are you doing here?" Aurora asked.

"I came to find Ana, I didn't know you were also here," I explained, wiping my eyes.

Aurora shook her head. "I didn't know you were okay. I didn't know you were alive."

There were so many things we needed to say to each other, so many years missed. But there would be time for that later.

"Where's Ana?" I asked, scanning the room.

"Perhaps she's with her sister," Aurora said, nonchalantly.

"Rory, you're her sister!" I insisted, grabbing her hand.

"Maybe I was, but not anymore. I can't be, Ro. It hurts too much."

"What do you mean?" I didn't understand, Aurora had been luckier than me. She had gotten to grow up with her sister.

"She doesn't know!" Aurora yelled, tears spilling down her face.

I took a deep breath. "What do you mean she doesn't know?"
"She doesn't remember! The Empress did something to her that day and since then she's remembered nothing." Aurora took a shuddering breath.

I suddenly realized why Aurora looked so old. She carried with her not only her own grief and sadness and anger, but Ana's too. Grief doesn't just disappear, it's like energy. It must go somewhere.

I shrugged. "So we'll make her remember."

"We will do no such thing!" Aurora declared, sounding exactly like her mother. "Ana is happy and safe. Why should we make her remember all that pain, all that loss? She will still be trapped here, but it will feel less like home and more like a cage. She will still not have a mother, a father, a brother. She will still not have a kingdom."

"Do you not know?" I asked.

"Know what?"

"Your mother is alive, Rory!" I grinned at her, expecting her to smile back.

Instead, her face turned cold. "My mother is not alive, Rowan. Do not lie to me."

"I'm not lying! She's in Solas, I swear it," I insisted.

Aurora was silent. Then, she whispered "Then she's not my mother."

I was shocked. "What do you mean? Don't you know how lucky you are? Your sister is alive, your mother is alive! I would give anything for that! But I can't have it, you are all I have left. So I don't care if you don't want to tell Anastasia, she deserves to know. You don't have the right to decide that for her!"

"Rowan, leave," Aurora said, her voice quiet and calm.

"Aurora, please, you're the heir now. We need you!" I couldn't believe her, how could she turn her back on her sister, on me?

"There is no we, Ro. I'm glad that you're safe, but your mission is in vain. My mother abandoned her kingdom, abandoned me. I had to watch my city burn without her. I had to watch my brother die without her. I forgave her because I thought she was dead, too, but she's not and she never wrote to me, never came back. I won't subject Ana to that, if Ana even still exists. So go home, Rowan." Aurora's eyes burned with fury and pain that I recognized in myself.

So I pushed my shoulders back and walked out of the room.

Aurora closed the door after me and I slammed my fist into the wall.

"Damn it!" I swore, shaking my aching hand.

A maid froze and gaped at me, shocked to hear a noblewoman swear.

"Lady, are you okay?" The maid asked, hesitantly.

I nodded and hurried down the hall, not caring who saw me. Now, more than ever, I needed to find Ana.