Rowan

Aurora's dismissal hurt more than I would admit. I was Princess Rowan of House Lenore, Duchess of Ashford. I was a warrior on a noble mission to save the long lost royal family of my kingdom. I wouldn't let my foolish cousin get to me.

But Aurora was the Princess Aurora of House Lenore, heir to the kingdom of Andarna, and protector of Princess Anastasia.

What made me right?

No, I couldn't think like that. Ana deserved to know the truth, and who were we to keep it from her.

I made my way back to my apartments, keeping my face impassive. The knowledge I had gained from Aurora was both helpful and detrimental to my mission.

I reached my door and stepped inside the sitting room, sighing in relief at the silence I found. The noise of the palace halls had felt like pressure on my chest that had finally lifted.

I collapsed onto the purple velvet couch and wrapped myself in a blue cotton blanket. Just because I hated Bellona did not mean I couldn't enjoy the luxuries the upper class enjoyed. It had been so long since I had been surrounded by the comforts of royalty and, although I had learned how to survive without it, I still preferred it.

I picked at the dirt under my nails and frowned at my disheveled appearance. My appearance had probably been forgiven by the rest of the court because of my recent arrival, but I would have to clean up if I wanted to pass for a baroness.

I forced myself off of the couch and to the luxurious bathroom to draw a bath. Even the bathtub was ridiculously lavish, painted with golden flowers along the rim. I poured lavender oil into the water, remembering how I had resisted baths as a child, fighting my nursemaids and nannies when they tried to wash me. I had only allowed my mother to wash me. An odd thing for a princess and duchess to do, but she did it.

I undressed and eased myself into the hot water, groaning as my body adjusted to the temperature. It had been so long since I'd bathed in a bath such as this. Indigo's girls had all the luxurious baths they could dream of, but I had been denied that privilege when I decided not to pursue the oldest profession.

An hour or so later, someone knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" I called, suddenly realizing how defenseless a position I was in. I had left my dagger with my clothing and I was completely naked. I sat up, covering my breasts with my hand.

"Luiza, my lady," was the reply. I relaxed back into the water. I knew I shouldn't trust someone I just met, but Luiza spoke my language, she felt a little like home.

"Come in."

The door opened and Luiza placed a towel beside the tub. "Next time you need a bath, call me."

"I can run a bath, Luiza," I replied. I was not the pampered princess I had once been.

"I'm sure you can, my lady. But maids gossip, and it is not normal for a baroness to draw her own bath. So, if you need anything, no matter how small, call for me," Luiza insisted. "In fact, it might be easier if I became your lady's maid."

"Thank you, Luiza."

"Of course. People might begin to suspect something is amiss if a baroness does not have any servants with her."

I sat up and wrapped myself in the towel. "How did you end up here? I mean, most Andarnans I know fled north after..."

"My lady," Luiza began.

"Rowan."

She pursed her lips, "I haven't heard that name since... since the princess."

I nodded.

"Oh." Luiza curtsied and my eyes watered. It had been so long since someone had known who I was, what I was. Indigo knew, as did Ambrose and Linus, but somehow, this felt different.

"Please, continue with your story."

"Well, I was only saying that only the noble and wealthy fled. The rest of us were trapped here, in Delia. My father was a successful baker, his bakery was frequented mostly by wealthy patrons, and when they all fled, business turned bad. He sold his shop and didn't work. My brother was drafted, so it was up to me to support the family."

"What bakery did your father own?" I asked, remembering a favorite of mine that my mother had taken me to as a child.

"Let Them Eat Cake."

I smiled. "I loved the lemon tarts."

Luiza's eyes misted and she blinked frantically. "What are you doing here, Rowan?"

My smile faded when I remembered Anastasia. "I can't say, but trust me, it's important."

Luiza nodded. "I figured."

I smiled, then yawned. "I think I ought to get some rest." I eased myself out of the tub and wrapped the towel around me. It was ridiculously soft and fluffy.

"I'll be back for you in a few hours to get you ready for tonight," Luiza said.

"What's tonight?"

"The Empress is throwing a party in the gardens to celebrate the engagement between Princess Selene and Prince Lucian of Minos."

My mind caught on the word engagement.

For the first time I let myself wonder if maybe Aurora was right. Maybe Ana would miss this life once she remembered her past.

Even worse, would she want to stay?

I shook my head, shaking off my doubts. If Ana was anything like the girl I had known, she would leave this place without a backwards glance.