𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔰𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫 - 𝔭𝔲𝔢𝔯𝔱𝔬 𝔯𝔦𝔠𝔬 ✰

I stood in front of my parents' beach house and knocked

I stood in front of my parents' beach house and knocked. Lara next to me held the bouquet of tulips and a package of pralines to her chest.

"Someone's nervous, huh?"
"What if they won't like me?"
The door swung open and I immediately grabbed Lara's presents out of her hands, since my Mom was going to jump her.

"Ay, Bendito!" (Puerto Rican saying for Oh My God) She inspected Lara throughout.
"A gorgeous woman you have here!"
Her light brown curls jumped up and down. Nobody would even dare to question if Valentina is her daughter.

She squeaked at the presents and kissed Lara's face. "Gracías, mi precioso."
"I'm glad you like it Misses Diaz."
"Oh please just call me Felisa and my husband Martín or just Tin."

Mom led us inside and let Lara meet my Dad, who is usually rather unimpressed by my love life.
"I'm Lara."
She gave my father her hand and he shook it.

"Martín." He continued reading his newspaper and drank his espresso. Lara ended up helping Mom with making lunch, while I was left back with my Dad.
"You finally got a girlfriend?"
"She's not my girlfriend, I don't know what we are."

"A respectful woman."
I smiled to myself. He's a cold man and has not been really talkative since my childhood. But he's always been a good Dad nonetheless.

Lard and Mamí came back with a stew and faces full of joy.

I understand why he respects Lara. She's a polite woman. I love her dimples, whenever she
smiles. I love how she thinks, that I don't know she has 20 different shades of red lipstick. Even though I can name the difference between everything she owns. I also love that she thinks I'm not submissive, but I'd beg my whole life long for her love.

We started eating and talked about every single topic.
"Teo, there is a surfing competition in two days. Do you want to take part in it?"
In my childhood, I used to win nearly every competition since Martín Diaz was the best surfer from Aguadilla and taught me everything.

Lara stared at me and then at the surfboards hanging on the wall.
"You should take part in it, Mat."
Mat.

Like chained to the chair I didn't move. She never called me anything other than Matteo or just Díaz.
Is it an attempt to make herself look good in front of my parents? This woman needs a raise for being so confusing.

My mother handed Lara a little box over.
"That's from Teo's grandma, you'll meet her tomorrow."

Her eyes sparkled as she unfolded the present. A shiny cross necklace is laid in the velvet. She put it on straight after unwrapping it.

"She and the necklace are adorable."
Mom laughed. "Let's see how you will get along. She is really old so sometimes it can be problematic."

Once our lunchtime ended, I led her to our guest room.
"Lara, what was that?"
"What was what?"
"Why do you have to call me Mat?"
She shrugged going through her clothes for a dress. "Calling you by Matteo got odd."