Bayula

Zuri woke up to the sound of a woman singing. She stepped outside of her home and watched as an older woman washed clothes in a basin and sang her heart out . 

"Na tutaenda mbali, sisi wawili

Tukitoroka, penzi letu halikomi

Katika uhuru, tutapona na kujenga

Tukipambana, pamoja tutashinda."

Zuri smiled at her as she walked by and walked over to a stand waiting patiently for Iman. Iman walked out standing tall and brave with only a pair of green pants and shoes on. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

"Wake up ...its the middle of the day Iman."Zuri laughed

"Be quiet. my Mamma had me up making blankets with her, Malahi kept kicking me with creepy crawlies on his feet."

"Ewwww... you probably gonna have lumps on your feet by tonight."

Iman laughed and threw a mango at her. It fell to the floor and rolled over to another hut .

Zuri and Iman ran through the village, their bare feet pounding the dusty earth as they chased each other towards the mango tree. The sweet aroma of ripe mangoes filled the air, and their laughter echoed through the village. They were both 12 years old, and on this sunny day, nothing seemed to matter except the thrill of the moment. 

As they climbed the tree, Iman turned to Zuri with a mischievous grin.

 "Zuri, I'm going to marry you one day."

Zuri giggled, her dark hair bouncing with each movement.

 "Iman, you know . My father will choose my husband." 

Iman's eyes sparkled with determination. 

"I don't care about the rule. I saw it in my dream, Zuri. We were married, and we were happy. I'm going to make it come true." 

Zuri playfully rolled her eyes.

 "You and your dreams, Iman." 

As they made their way home, they stumbled upon the village elders setting traps. One of them, a wise old man named Kofi, cautioned them.

"Children, be careful. These traps are for slave captors. Stay away from the Bayula, especially on Tuesdays. Those people are not to be trusted." 

 Zuri and Iman nodded, their faces serious for a moment before they continued on their way.

That evening, as they sat down for dinner, Zuri asked her mother, Ayemi, "Mamma, is it true that slave captors hang out by the Bayula?" 

Ayemi's expression turned stern. Ayemi poured some Supa ya Nyama into Zuri's bowl.

"Yes, child. But only on Tuesdays. You are not to go there on those days. Do you understand?" 

Zuri nodded, her eyes wide with understanding.

 After dinner, Zuri joined her older sister, Naturi, outside, where she was washing clothes in a basin. As they worked together, Zuri gazed up at the stars, feeling the peacefulness of the night. Naturi's secret boyfriend, a young man named Kwame, appeared from the shadows, and Zuri smiled as she watched them dance around the courtyard, their laughter and whispers filling the air.

"Naturi..."Njoo hapa sasa hivi kabla baba yako hajakukamata na kukutia adabu!"Ayemi called

"Mamma...papa is down by the Bayula helping mister Kofi set traps still."

"Naturi...now!"Ayemi yelled. Zuri followed Naturi in the house and laid down in her cot. They didn't have a lot of money but she was glad that they had their own rooms. Zuri's father built their three bedroom home with his own hands and made out of clay and other materials. He built it when Naturi was born and made a lot of money from building other people in the villages home to.  Jasil Otieno was well respected in the village and people loved him. 

Zuri heard her father come in the home and set his shoes down on the kitchen table. Her mother spoke softly and she could hear soft laughing and the smell of soup on the stove.

""Kwa ajili yako, mpenzi wangu, ningetembea maelfu ya maili kukuletea chochote unachoomba."Her father said to her mother. 

Zuri smiled. She wished that one day she would have the kind of love her parents have. Iman came to her mind nad she hoped when the time came her father would let them get married. Zuri brushed the ants off her blanket and laid down. 

The next day at school Iman and Zuri walked hand and hand to the school house. They sat at a table with other friends waiting for their school day to start. The principal came in.

"Today there will be not work. I want you guys to write me only a paper asking god for one thing for your life. Early this morning slave catcher took two children from the village. Myo and Zaleem.  I want you children to be super careful and don't go to the Bayula."

"Yes sir."Everyone replied then got to work. After school Iman and Zuri walked to the river by their village to fish. 

"Do you think the slave catchers would ever invade Maikyoi?"

"No...nobody has ever tried to come here...we  have too many weapons too. Allah wouldn't let it happen to us."

"But what if?"

"I am fighting to the very end..."Iman said raising a stick in the air.Zuri and Iman caught fish and headed back to their homes. Zuri's father was very pleased. Naturi walked into the home wiping tears from her eyes.

"Whats wrong Naturi?"

Nothing papa."Naturi said softly

"Her friend Naseer was taken last night. caught at the bayula trying to fish."

"Well...he knew better we tell everyone to not go over there."Jasil said

"There now Naturi...you will find love again."Zuri said touching her sisters hand.

"I hate white men."Naturi said walking into her room. Zuri shook her head and continued eating her dinner. She never saw a white person before but Iman has . He was almost kidnapped a year before and said they look dirty, and smell like alcohol, their skin is also pale. Zuri thought that she would surely faint if she ever came across one. She hoped that she didn't.