Prologue

a/n: for the best reading experience have a serif font and dark background

Westeros 101 AC

As the first century of the Targaryen dynasty neared its conclusion, the grandeur of Harrenhal's halls bore witness to a pivotal moment in the annals of Westerosi history. Within the ancient fortress, where the whispers of a thousand years echoed through the stone corridors, a gathering of noble lords and ladies assembled to determine the fate of a dynasty on the brink of change.

The Old King, Jaehaerys, sat upon his throne, his once-mighty frame now weakened by the passage of time. Beside him stood his loyal maesters, bearing a chest of ancient oak, its contents shrouded in mystery and significance.

As the maesters approached the king, the air in the hall grew heavy with anticipation, a palpable tension that hung like a veil over the gathered throng. Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, her regal bearing a testament to her royal lineage, watched with stoic resolve as the proceedings unfolded, her gaze fixed upon the chest with a mixture of apprehension and determination.

In those fleeting moments, the weight of history hung heavy upon the shoulders of the Old King, his once-proud reign now beset by uncertainty and doubt. With the tragic loss of his sons leaving the question of succession in turmoil, Jaehaerys had called upon the wisdom of a thousand lords to determine the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.

As the chest was opened and the scroll within unfurled, the fate of House Targaryen hung in the balance, poised upon the razor's edge of destiny. For Princess Rhaenys, a woman of unmatched strength and resolve, the outcome held far-reaching consequences, her claim to the throne challenged by the spectre of patriarchal tradition and the weight of centuries-old customs.

In the end, as the words of the scroll echoed through the hall, it was Prince Viserys Targaryen who emerged victorious, his ascension to the title of Prince of Dragonstone met with a mixture of relief and resignation. For Princess Rhaenys, the sting of defeat was tempered by the knowledge that her father's realm had been spared the ravages of civil war, her loyalty to House Targaryen unwavering even in the face of adversity.

As the Great Council drew to a close and the lords of Westeros dispersed to their respective domains, the echoes of their deliberations lingered like the fading embers of a dying fire, casting a shadow over the future of the realm. For Jaehaerys, the cold truth remained: the House of the Dragon stood upon a precipice, its fate intertwined with the capricious whims of fate and the fragile bonds of kinship.

And so, as the sigil of House Targaryen flickered and faded into the annals of history, the stage was set for a new chapter in the saga of Westeros, where the destinies of kings and queens would be forged upon the anvil of ambition and the crucible of war.

Yi-Ti :Jade Orchid Palace (Yùlán Gōng)

In the serene and majestic grounds of the Yùlán Gōng, High Princess Yuexiu Zhihua found sanctuary amidst the verdant splendour that adorned the imperial estate. Accompanied by her steadfast companion and head maid, Zhao Ling, the young princess wandered the winding pathways that wound their way through the lush gardens, their footsteps producing muffled clacks as their Qinxie hit the path stones.