Chapter One

Aaliyah

Aaliyah

The sun shines brightly, warming my skin as I lay on the soft, golden sand. The rhythmic sound of waves crashing against the shore fills the air, creating a relaxing atmosphere.

I can feel the gentle breeze rustling through my hair, bringing a salty scent from the nearby ocean. The rays of sunlight dance across my closed eyelids, creating a warm, red glow.

I can't help but smile as I feel the warmth spreading throughout my body, melting away any negative thoughts.

"This is the life." The soft, feminine voice next to me sighs out.

I hum in agreement. The sound of children laughing and playing in the distance adds to the joyful ambiance of the beach. I take a deep breath and let out a content sigh, feeling completely at peace in this moment.

Growing up on the coastline, my childhood memories are filled with sandy toes, salty hair, and the soothing sound of crashing waves. My parents, both avid surfers, introduced me to the ocean at a young age and taught me how to ride the waves and explore the depths of the sea.

As I grew older, I spent endless summer days perfecting my surfing technique and discovering the colorful world beneath the surface while scuba diving. The beach became my home away from home, a place where I could escape the stresses of everyday life and connect with nature. To this day, the ocean continues to hold a special place in my heart, reminding me of the carefree, adventurous spirit of my childhood.

"I needed this." As I gently run my fingers along the soft grains of sand, I can't help but feel a twinge of sadness.

The hustle and bustle of college classes has taken me away from the beach, my safe haven. It has been a couple of weeks since I've even felt the ocean against my bare skin, and I can't remember how many months it has been since I've rode a wave. The gentle motion of the waves and the salty breeze always brought me a sense of peace and tranquility, but lately, my mind has been consumed with deadlines and exams.

Even as I lay here, relaxing for the first time in weeks, I can't help but feel the weight of stress on my shoulders. It seems like there is always something to worry about or some assignment to complete. I long for the days when I didn't have a care in the world, when my biggest concern was how to get alcohol with my friends in high school. Life was simpler then, and I miss that feeling of carefree bliss.

"What are the plans for tomorrow night?" I ask Savannah. After thinking about all the stress in my life, I decide that I need a night of drinking and forgetting.

I cup my hand over my eyes and turn my head to look at her. Her porcelain skin is radiant under the warm sun, and her long blonde hair cascades in waves, catching the light and casting a golden hue around her. I can't help but admire her beauty, even in this simple moment of resting on the beach.