Chapter Five

Aaliyah

Aaliyah

After another hour of screaming and jumping until our feet are sore and our voices are hoarse, we can tell that the band is almost finished with their set. We decide it is time to start making our way to the exit to avoid all of the people that will inevitably flood out of the building. We squeeze our way through sweaty bodies as they thrash around aggressively. I skillfully evade an arm that comes swinging towards my face, thrown wildly by a man.

After what feels like an eternity, we finally manage to push our way through the large crowd and out the doors of the building. The cool, crisp air immediately hits me, a welcome relief from the stuffy heat of being crammed between people. I can feel my skin breathe again as I inhale deeply and look around. The streets are bustling with people, cars are honking, and I can still hear the distant sound of the band playing.

"Oh my god, that was insane!" Sora yells, grabbing the attention of a few bystanders.

"I know, right? And the lead singer? So fucking hot." Savannah responds as we start walking down the sidewalk, back to the parking lot where we were before.

"Did you see the bassist? I swear he looked exactly like Kurt Cobain." Sora sighs in bliss and places a hand on her heart, "I think I'm in love."

The three of us continue down the quiet road, our conversation and laughter echoing off the buildings that line the empty sidewalks. The street lights illuminate our path, casting a warm glow on the dark night. We stroll through the peaceful city, our arms linked together in a tight embrace.

We make our way back to the vacant parking lot, with only a few people lingering around. It's a stark contrast from earlier when the lot was filled with people drinking and playing music.

"My feet are killing me," I whine in agony as I waddle over to the edge of the sidewalk and plop down onto the curb. "Can you rub them?" I ask Savannah with a pout.

"Ew, no." She replies, sitting down next to me with a sigh.

I turn my head to Sora, who scrunches her nose and shakes her head, "don't look at me."

"You guys are mean."

We sit in silence, taking a moment to revel in the relief of our aching bodies after standing for so long. I can still hear the concert taking place in the building. The sounds of the band and the crowd serve as pleasant background noise. I can't help but replay images of the handsome drummer in my mind. I picture the way his brows furrowed in concentration, his head slightly bobbing to the music as he poured his passion into each beat. The way the lights would hit him just right, illuminating his features, was hypnotizing. Despite my efforts, I couldn't keep my eyes off of him all night, his raw talent drawing me in.

My obsessive thoughts are abruptly interrupted by the sound of Sora unzipping her bag and retrieving her phone. "I'm going to order a Uber." She informs us, bringing me back to reality.