Chapters 37- 20 weeks old in the meadow

Katniss pov

I am at the meadow with my husband and two exceptional children. Peeta and I have been through so much, but we have our family. Peeta is in the meadow playing with Primrose. He Is the best man I have ever known. I am holding my finger while watching the game. I am so happy. There are no Hunger Games, and Primrose knows we played a role in them. Finnick will understand in a few years.

My children, who take the words of the song for granted:

Deep in the meadow, a bed of grass under the willow, a soft green pillow. Lay down your head and close your sleepy eyes. When they open again, the sun will rise.

Here it's safe, here it's warm. Here, the daisies guard you from every harm.

Here, your dreams are sweet, and tomorrow brings them true. Here is the place where I love you.

My children, who don't know they, play in the graveyard. Peeta says it will be OK. We have each other and the book. We can make them understand in a way that will make them braver. But one day, I'll have to explain about my nightmares and why they came and why they won't ever really go away. I tell them how I survived it. I tell them that on bad mornings, it feels impossible to take pleasure in anything because I'm afraid it could be taken away. That's when I make a list in my head of every good act of goodness I've seen someone do. It's like a game. It's repetitive. Even if it is a little tedious after over 20 years, there are worse games.

End