five

June had been up since 6, she didn't need to be, it wasn't like she was going with Jak anymore. She just couldn't fall back asleep, that's stupid pit in her stomach ruining everything. This time she knew the feeling wasn't excitement, it was just nerves. She was scared of her dad coming to the track, she hated when he was there it was just more pressure on her.

She wanted to get those thoughts out of her head, but she couldn't. They just continued on and on until the sound of her alarm ringing knocked her out of it.

She tapped the alarm, turning it off before getting out of bed. If she was honest she missed Jak, even if she had seen him yesterday, he was the most important person to her. Jak had texted her good luck for qualifying but it wasn't the same as how he would hug her tight and make her feel like she mattered to someone, nothing like her dad ever did.

———

June didn't talk to her dad that morning, it wasn't like he wanted to talk to her anyway. She knew he was disappointed in her and as much as she hated him, she still wanted to make him proud, maybe then he would finally treat her like his kid.

"June, let's go." Her dad said.

She grabbed her bag, following her dad out the door.

"Are you going to get in trouble by coming today?" June asked, finally talking to her dad.

"No, I'm your dad. I have a right to watch my child."

She nodded at his response, looking back at her phone.

———

YAK

YAK
you okay still?

junbug
yeah i'm all good

YAK
okay

tell me if you need anything
though, i'll be there

junbug
i know

i miss you jakie

YAK
i miss you too juni

your gonna do great today

don't get in your head and
don't listen to you dad

okay?

junbug
okay i won't

i promise

YAK
okay

i love you juni i'll
talk to you later

your going to do amazing
today, don't be too hard
on yourself

junbug
i won't

i love you too

talk to you soon 🤞

———
June looked up from her phone as they pulled into the parking lot. She pulled her bag onto her lap, trying to open the car door. She pulled on the handle a few times before her dad stopped her.

"June,"

"What," she whispered, turning to look at him.

"I want your phone,"

"What, why?" she asked.

"You don't deserve it and you know that, it's only going to distract you anyway, and god knows that what you need is more distractions."