To the Sound of a Sweet Look

"So how was your first day with the gay guy?" asks Fill as we look for a place to sit in the cafeteria the next day. We opt for a table positioned right in the centre.

"He has a name, did you say?" I say as normally as I can.

I don't even have to turn my face towards my friend to confirm that there is a huge question mark on his head.

"Dude, you're acting weird, seriously. Didn't you used to refer to him that way yourself?"

"Yeah, but not anymore. Jones was very clear in warning me what would happen if I continued to mistreat him, you know? And that's why I have to act natural with him."

Obviously my change in relation to Arthur has nothing connected to the headmistress - and if it does, then it's insignificant - but it served me as an excuse for Fill. Whether he was going to believe me or not, that would matter little to me.

"Will you get our snacks for us?" I point to the short line formed by the students in the cafeteria.

"Sure." He stands up. "But don't even think about running away from the subject. I want to find out what this boy did to you."

Before I can say anything, Fill is already walking toward the line. In the same direction, I spot Matt and Jason talking animatedly amongst themselves, only to notice me and walk over to me with their smiles that could find the back of their heads.

"Hey, Nick. You're having truth or dare at Jason's house tonight." Matt comments, pointing at his friend next to him. "You're going, aren't you?"

I smile at them as an apology, hoping to indicate that my fun would be down the drain because of Arthur.

"Sorry, guys, but I'm not going. Have you forgotten what happened to me? Isn't that why you guys are making fun of me all the time?"

"Well, it was your idea to hurt Damaged." Jason teases.

"Thanks for reminding me of that, Jason. I feel a lot better now."

"Oh, come on, Nick!" exclaims Matt, sitting awkwardly on the bench. "The Nicholas I know would cancel anything to kiss a girl."

I see for a brief moment that Jason nods.

"The old Nicholas would do that." I correct him. "The new one, who is at the beginning of the moving process, has more... important."

"And since when is the gay one ahead of us on his list?" Matt raises an eyebrow in defiance.

I'm about to reply when Fill arrives with our lunch, infiltrating the conversation:

"Forget it, studs. What we have to do is congratulate Nick, otherwise none of us would be having fun today."

I thank him for his comment with a look, and he understands that I was really in need of a strength with the two of them. But I'm not silly enough not to imagine he wants a satisfaction for his question asked a few minutes ago regarding Arthur, so I don't feel like I'm in complete salvation.

Jason raises his hands in surrender.

"Okay, then. But in case you change your mind, give us a call so we can get more girls." He blinks one of his dark brown eyes and leaves, Matt following close behind.

Fill shakes his head, laughing, and hands me one of the plates of strogonoff , which makes me eat quickly to keep my mouth busy, though to no avail.

"Where were we? Oh, I remember..." he says. "Arthur. Ever since you pulled that stunt in his wardrobe, you've been acting... how can I put it... different. He didn't threaten you, did he?"