Enchanted Ball

Saturday comes, and I’m on 220 Volts.

The first thing I did was to wake up early – which surprised my mother – and go to the mall, more specifically to a famous shop that sold fantasy clothes. I chose two and took them to the cashier, where there was a woman with red hair who gave me a seductive look from the moment I entered.

"Costume for a friend?" she asked me, looking at the two male models.

"No, actually it’s one for me and another for a boy I like."

She makes a slight expression of waste, though she tries to hide it, seeming to be disappointed by my answer. Nevertheless, she says nothing more.

I settle the payment with her and leave the shop afterwards, returning home.

The ball would start at 4 p.m. and go on into the night, without a definite time to end. It will take place in one of the most beautiful places in our city, outdoors, by the way, containing even a high waterfall – a choice for those who wanted to bathe afterwards -, full of flowers in nearby woods.

Arriving at my house, my mother speaks to me, just as I am quickly walking up the stairs to go to my room in a failed attempt to avoid her.

"Where were you?"

I stop halfway and sigh.

"Um… at the mall. I went to buy some clothes for the costume ball tonight." I explain, trying to get out of her conversation.

"And what are you going as?" I can hear his laughter behind the question, although I keep my voice formal.

"Prince." I say, evasive.

"And who will be your princess?"

I roll my eyes at her.

"Oh, Mom, I’ll answer all this questioning later, okay? It’s already one o’clock and I have to be there by four. Not to mention that Dad is calling you." I point behind her back, making her turn around.

I run back to my room.

Once there, I take my phone from my pocket and dial Arthur’s number, who answers on the second ring.

"Hey, Nick!" His tone is amused, and I find myself smiling.

"Hey, are you still home?" I ask as I put the bags of clothes on the bed.

"I am. You’re coming, aren’t you?"

"Sure, I’ll be right there. I just called to confirm."

"All right, then."

"Bye, Arthur." I say goodbye warmly.

"Bye-bye."

With the call already over, I go into the bathroom and think about the next few minutes that await me, too anxious to give importance to any other direction of my thoughts that would not lead me to Arthur. Maybe I should take it easy… But how could I avoid these feelings that make me so vivid?

 Maybe I should take it easy… But how could I avoid these feelings that make me so vivid?