Aussie Aussie Aussie

this time im ready to run

escape from the city and follow the sun

I didn't go to the Saudi Arabia Grand Prix because I needed to record my new songs. Sadie also booked me in to shoot a music video for Bad Idea Right? and that took up a few days, so I couldn't make it to see Logan race. I watched the race from New York on F1 TV in my blue Williams shirt, cheering Logan on from the other side of the world. He came 16th, which was amazing, beating his teammate Alex who unfortunately got a DNF. Williams weren't in the points that day, but both drivers did well. Oscar on the other hand, slightly improved, beating Logan by one place coming in 15th. Good for him.

I called Logan after the race and he analysed every part of his performance, not accepting 'you did a great job Logan', but criticising the parts of his race he needed to improve (which he thought was most of it).

That's what made Logan so special. He always tried his hardest in everything he did, with this energy that makes anyone else want to as well. He never settled for anything that wasn't his best performance and made sure everything was done to perfection. The thing only his closest friends could tell - how hard he really was on himself.

My old friend group was all like that and maybe that's why we drifted. When people are too similar and too hard on themselves, the pressure gets high and it doesn't work out how you want it to. No matter how hard you try and no matter how bad you want to fix it.

The next Grand Prix was this weekend and in Australia. I've been to Australia a few times, but not since I had just graduated. I missed the beaches, the food and the people. Australian people just have this charm about them that makes them so interesting and exciting, yet calm. One thing I will never miss is the weather. The hot humid weather.

My plane landed in Melbourne on the Wednesday. I grabbed my bags and left the airport to find my driver, managing to avoid most of the paparazzi. Australian paparazzi wasn't as bad as some places (cough cough LA) but it wasn't the best.

We sped through the streets of Melbourne and soon arrived at my hotel. I was staying at The Crown, which was in the heart of Melbourne along the river. I unpacked my bags, put on my sunglasses and went for a walk. It took about 3 minutes until someone recognized me.

"Lani! Can I have a photo please?" A fan came up to me. I smiled and posed for the photo. Unfortunately, others heard her and soon enough I had attracted a crowd. People were pushing their way through to get me to sign things, take photos and I had cameras in my face. My breathing started to quicken, but I made sure to control it so the crowds wouldn't notice. Don't get me wrong, I love my fans, but I wasn't the best with crowds. Or lots of people. Or with the pressure that every move I do, it will probably be put up on the internet. 

I unlocked my phone discreetly and pressed on a button. This would alert Logan, Alex and our security staff, where someone would come and get me away. In about a minute, I spotted a security guard walking over, when a little girl came up to me. She looked to be about 9 or ten years old. "Lani, lani!" She said and there was no way I couldn't talk to her.

"Hey, what's your name?" I asked her gently.

"Robin!" She squeaked, her eyes widening. "I love your music!"

"Thank you so much! Here, this is for you!" I reached into my back pocket and took our a guitar pick. 

"Thank you." She said shyly. "I made you this friendship bracelet."

"Aww, this is so cute!" I posed for a photo with her, signed a sheet of paper before being taken away by the security guard. Finally I was in the comfort of a black SUV, and I looked at the friendship bracelet. It said 'obsessed' which was a track from my last album 'again?'. I smiled and put it on my wrist.