17 - If only...

Yoongi had initially bought the apartment in order to live with his girlfriend, the deceased Yunji. The building was located in the middle of the bustling city. It even had a park, children's playground, gym and swimming pool. Of course, the price was exorbitant as well. It was apparent that Yoongi had sacrificed a big hole in his savings in order to prepare for the future.

Jungkook still recalled how he and Jackson had teased the Beta until he became a blushing mess. Despite their close relationship, Yoongi was fairly protective of his girlfriend's identity and hence, when he suddenly came out with this great news and told them seriously that he intended to settle down with her, Jungkook and Jackson were ecstatic. They had even thrown a small party to congratulate him.

Now that Jungkook thought back to those beautiful memories, he only felt sadness and intense worry. 

"He's still not picking up?" Jimin asked beside him.

Jungkook nodded anxiously. He stared at the ascending number of the elevator, wishing that he could fly directly to Yoongi's side. He had been trying to call Yoongi to no avail.

Jungkook had no idea what the Beta was up to right now for him to turn off his phone. The image of Yoongi's despondent silhouette back in the hospital kept surfacing in Jungkook's mind and his left eye twitched intermittently.

"He won't do anything stupid, will he?" Jungkook muttered quietly, more to himself than the man beside him.

"Based on my observation, he doesn't look like a reckless person." Jimin said dryly. For such a cold person, this ought to be the best consolation he could offer.

Jungkook also realized it and he gave Jimin a small grateful smile. Without Jimin by his side, Jungkook might have lost himself in more fluster and panic.

As soon as the elevator stopped on Yoongi's floor, Jungkook immediately slipped out without even waiting for the door to open fully. He walked — almost jogged — through the rows of closed doors with his heart thumping irregularly in his chest. He tried hard to keep his head blank instead of wandering further down the line of 'what ifs'. Please... please be okay, Min ...

Arriving at Yoongi's door, Jungkook immediately halted in his tracks. He actually knew the passcode, yet for some inexplicable reason, he could not bring himself to barge in just like that. He felt that... he would only intrude on a private place specially of Yoongi and Miss Zhao.

Thus, he reached out to press on the door bell. Once, twice, thrice... there was no response from within. 

Jungkook's brows furrowed deeply. "Is he not in? But if he's not home, then where has he gone?"

Just as Jungkook was steeling himself to enter the passcode, Jimin tugged on his arm. "Hyung," he pointed somewhere beneath his feet. "There is something there."

Jungkook followed his line of sight to find a familiar note stuck on the crack under the door. If one did not carefully look around, it was very easy to miss it. Jungkook's heart skipped a beat. This... This was the exact same note Yoongi used this morning to inform him about his appointment in the hospital!

Jungkook instantly crouched down and carefully pulled it out.

Yoongi's graceful and neat handwriting unfolded in front of his eyes.

[Hyung, don't worry. I won't do anything stupid.]

The first line directly addressed what Jungkook was most concerned about. He heaved out a sigh of relief as the knot in his heart loosened. Yoongi really knew him too well.

[I have a few matters to take care of. Don't worry about me. I have left your medicine in the bathroom cabinet, feel free to take it if you need, but don't forget to record the consumption each time. I will check it after I return.