Fasle Findings: Part 2

I should have taken Eddie's words with a bit more caution. Earlier today, after the walk around this fading town, Eddie and I went back to his apartment where everyone was waiting for my arrival. He and Narrator had moved in officially, so they were all in the oldest apartment complex near the center of town. I didn't voice my concerns but I didn't think it was a smart idea to put Josh, Mully, Narrator, and Gabriella all in one tiny apartment. The tension was so thick, I felt I couldn't breathe in the living room. Narrator and Josh had the couch, and the smaller of the duo was turned fully to face the Texan. While John took the ignoring tactic, Narrator made it seem like he wanted Gabriella to see him. Mully and Gabriella were on the other side of the room, the dark-haired woman was glaring back at the Texan while the Australian looked out the window. What a fun time they all are going to be. The apartment's door led straight into the living room so as soon as I entered, all eyes were on me. Josh was the first person up to greet me, damn near running to me to hug me. I wasn't sure what nonsense he was babbling out (I don't think he knew either), but as much as I hated to admit it - I missed him, a lot. So while he was apologizing on and on about how he was sorry for everything that happened, I was babbling about something (I couldn't tell you what it was). Eventually, Mully and Narrator made their way over as well. Mully and mine reunion was short, unfortunately. As soon as Mully had walked over, the air was tense between Josh and him. Josh's beryl gaze avoided him completely as he talked with Eddie in a hushed tone. Part of me pitied Mully. He looked like a kicked puppy as he waited for Josh to look at him; a look that never happened. Our interaction was a quick hug, and a "I miss you" from both of us. Mully dragged his feet all the back over to the couch where he and Gaberiella chatted. Narrator was the next to greet me. It started with a pat on the shoulder and a silent stare from each other until we both started laughing. It was pure. It was like normal again. His laugh was deep in his chest, if it was any deeper - I fear the house would shake. It had a nice vibrato ring to it as well. It was comforting. It felt like old times. I felt like a kid again.

It felt like home.

He brought me into a hug, one I was very happy to return. He smelled like pine and teakwood. He hadn't changed his cologne in all these years. One thing that had changed was that I was taller than him, maybe by a few inches but it was enough to make a difference.

"Jesus, you're tall now!" He took a step back as if he hadn't realized earlier; a thought that made a smile across my face. Much like his laugh, his voice was deep and rich still. He looked the same, maybe his eye bags were a bit heavier now than I last remembered but he looked exactly like he did in the airport four years ago. 

"Yeah, I got a growth spurt out in Nebraska," I explained with a small chuckle, "started growing my hair out too." Narrator studies my hair, looking confused for a few minutes. Josh then nudged him softly and whispered something to him. Narrator's eyes lit right up.

"I forgot you're not naturally blonde!" He explained and I nodded my head.

"Yep! My foster parents didn't like dyed hair and I didn't have my own money to dye it but by the time I got out of there," I shrugged to finish my sentence and it seemed to get my point across pretty well.

"Well as long as you're happy! It looks pretty good!" Narrator smiled pretty wide for a second, "Unless you don't like it. There's a family dollar right now on the street, we can get box dye or I can schedule a hair appointment." Narrator offered and I shook my head.

"That new hairstylist is pretty good!" Eddie butted in, and Josh agreed.

"She cut my hair not too long ago and she got it done in a second." There was a second pause where everyone was staring at Mully on the couch. We were mainly waiting on Josh's reaction - or at least I was. I figured he was going to scream or ignore him or glare or something of that nature. Josh stared for a few seconds before a soft smile crossed his face and he waved for Mully to join the conversation around me. He stood up in a flash and joined us.

"She plays some pretty good music too in her shop," Eddie continued, "she takes requests too"

"DJ and hair stylist all in one?" I asked with my arms crossed, "What a deal" I rolled my eyes.

"She's even funnier than Mully," Josh nudged the fellow Australian who gasped.

"Wait- hold on-" Mully started and Josh just started laughing at his friend trying to defend himself. It made me happy to see them all again.  I wished I could enjoy it as much as they did. They all looked so happy to see me; they all looked so happy to be near each other and laughing and smiling. My eyes wandered to the couch. Gabriella sat there with a frown plastered on her face and her eyes narrowed and beside her stood him. His brown hair was longer than I remembered. A lot more shaggy but well taken care of. It looks soft like it used to be. Honey-colored eyes seemed to be unfocused and he zoned out. His style hasn't changed I think that's the last outfit I saw him in. Black hoodie with a bleach stain on the pocket and gray sweatpants. On his forehead, I could see the scar that was left. Staring in the middle and going to his left eyebrow, causing a small nick where hair no longer grew. His eyes focused back and locked with mine. We stared at each other for a few seconds, nothing was said between us. He looked confused and tired.  I watched with curiosity as he took his left hand and held it out, palm up. His right hand made a thumbs up and he placed it on top of his left hand. He then lifted it and my mouth went dry.

Help?

"Ree!" I snapped my head around in an instant. "Sorry kid! Didn't mean to scare you!" Josh explained, his eyes were a bit wide.

"All good," I brushed him off and looked back - He was gone but so was Gabriella. I looked back at Josh.

That wasn't Josh.

"Hey, long time no see" A very awkward smile crossed their face, showing off their white teeth. Their canines were still sharp.

"Why are you here?" I spat and his eyes flickered down to the floor.

"Well with everyone being here I wasn't sure if I would be allowed-"

"Why are you here?" I snapped again and a heavy sigh escaped his lips. He ran a hand through his short, cropped, brown hair. 

"Ree listen, and listen to me closely," Juicy spoke with his voice lowered as if he was whispering. "This is all fake," he explained and Ree tilted his head to the side. "They aren't here with you. That wasn't Swagger." He told me, a serious expression on his face. He made a gesture with his hand and I looked to the side. Swagger stood there. Blood ran down his face and out of his mouth. His eye was missing and his clothes were ratted. He clutched his arm which looked like it was holding on by thin pieces of tendons and flesh at this point. I nearly gagged. "We need help. Please." Juicy begged me. "I don't know how much time he has left and If I come out of that coma I'll die." I stared in horror at him. "Ree, please you have to snap out of it." He grabbed my shoulder as he continued to plead and beg of me. I didn't know what to do. He kept repeating and repeating, every time Juicy would start again his voice got louder. The grip on my shoulder tightened. It felt like there were bruises left already. I couldn't clear my mind of the panic to figure out what I should do, or if this was even real. For all I knew at the time, Juicy could have been a hallucination. Maybe from Josh's point of view, I was staring blankly at the wall.

"Ree!" A voice cut through the haze and Juicy's screaming. It was calming, it was comforting, it was familiar, and it made me feel safe. I turned my head excitedly to see Ted standing there.