CHAPTER - 17

___

___

Each step Mark took brought buried memories to life. He could see his younger self sitting by the lake with Haechan, holding his first guitar. He recalled the day Haechan brought him here, claiming to have found their secret spot, like in the movies. Although it wasn't really a secret, as many people visited, especially couples, it now seemed like ages since anyone had come by.

"Jiaa," he called out to the girl, who had stopped to place her bag by a tree. She hummed in response.

"How... how do you know about this place?" Mark set his guitar down next to her bag.

"Who else would have told me, Mark?" she replied, smiling as the sunlight cast a glow on her face.

Jia knew this was the final straw. They had started this journey with four months, but now only two and a half months were left. Even if they wrote a song now, it would take time to record, practice, and create the choreography. They didn't have enough time. She needed to finish the puzzle she had started.

"So, tell me, Mark," she said, settling down by the lake.

"I know it's Haechan," he said as he sat beside her.

"I mean... see, Mark, in this month and a half we've traveled a lot, visited many places together. I've learned a lot about you: that you like watermelon, prefer banana milk over chocolate milk, hate seafood, we both dislike ketchup, you play badminton and basketball when you’re free, you prefer being in the passenger seat rather than driving, and how much you love your parents and your group of friends. But... you've never told me how you started your music journey. That was the point of this collaboration."

A smile appeared on Mark's face as she listed his likes and dislikes.

"Bugaboo, I didn't know you were obsessed with me." Jia scoffed.

"Mark Lee..." she glared as he giggled playfully.

"Okay, okay..."

"If Haechan told you about this place, it means he trusts you a lot. He usually doesn't open up about his past to anyone. It also means he told you how everything started." The playful tone in his voice was gone now. Jia nodded, folding her legs and resting her head on her knees as she looked at Mark.

"It all started here. Our first song was created here. I can see my younger self sitting here, listening to these sounds." He smiled, reminiscing about his past while Jia listened attentively to his story.

"Mark," she called, and he hummed in response.

"I want to hear you sing," she added.

"Aww! Look at Jia being my number one fan," he said, ruffling her hair.

"Fine, fine, I'm your number one fan. Can I hear you sing now?" she said, pushing his hand away and fixing her hair.

"Anything for my number one fan," Mark said, taking out his guitar.