Chapter 15

Francesca POV

We all sat together in the meeting room to talk about our weekly results. Manuel had already given his presentation on the fair yesterday and was sitting opposite me looking rather bored and tired. James from IT was rambling on about a new server connection, which meant there would only be limited access to our programmes for the next few days. But I only had one question in mind.

Had Manuel slept badly? If he had? Why?

I tried not to return his fleeting glances, but as if magically attracted to each other, our eyes crossed again and again. His facial features betrayed no trace of the inner monologue. There was no smile on our lips, that would be too conspicuous and risky. I sincerely hoped that nobody heard the hammering of my heart, because it was pounding so loudly and strongly that I could hear it in my ears.

Tina had sat down next to Manuel and, as always, she eyed me with a sceptical expression. It annoyed her that she had to work a whole day once a week to attend the meetings. Could she theoretically take part from home via online call? Yes, of course. Did I bring her here because I'd noticed her behaviour and blasphemy? Yes, too. So she was responsible for her own happiness or unhappiness. Besides, I didn't like the way she came on to Manuel at every opportunity. Should I be above that? Did I do it? Not really.

I only listened to Sophie's words very sporadically. I found it hard to concentrate on what she was saying when my gaze met his amber-coloured eyes again, which shimmered like a good golden whisky in the sunlight today.

I felt a pleasant jolt as Manuel leaned back and stretched tiredly, tensing the muscles in his arms.

The same arms that had already wrapped themselves tightly around my body several times.

I tried to keep breathing calmly and not let my thoughts slip any further as the screen of my mobile phone suddenly lit up on the table in front of me. As inconspicuously as possible, I quickly picked it up and scanned the message, trying to ignore the thick lump in my throat.

Mr Sunshine:
Medusa. You can't look at me like that...

The words sent me reeling from the meeting room back to the hotel room as he murmured the same words to me in a hoarse voice. The scenes and words in the hotel played out before my eyes like a music video on repeat.

Swallowing deeply and with my legs pressed together as discreetly as possible, I tried to become master of the situation and regain control of my body and my thoughts.

Me:
Stop flexing your arms like that. Then I won't look at you like that.

I replied quickly and discreetly dropped my mobile phone in my lap so that no one would notice that I was texting during the meeting. I needed all my willpower not to ogle the man opposite at the same time.

My phone immediately vibrated again. To make it less noticeable, I waited a few minutes before eagerly reading the message.

Mr Sunshine:
I can't. I have to keep my hands busy so they don't reach for you. I'm thinking of you. When will we meet again?

Me:
Manuel it's too conspicuous. Stop it, PLEASE.

I looked at Tina, who had already noticed that Manuel was playing with his mobile phone. A slight panic crept up from my belly button and something else joined in. Excitement? Thrill? The feeling pressed into my stomach and caused a throbbing between my legs. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of Manuel's face with his lower lip between his teeth.

Lord. I shouldn't have done that. I rummaged nervously in my briefcase for a lip gloss so that I could moisturise my lips. They felt just as dry as my scratchy throat. My mobile phone was lying in my lap and felt hot and burning in equal measure. Was my mobile phone battery slowly heating up or was the heat coming from between my legs?