Can I still Consider you a Friend?

Can I still consider you a friend?

We locked eyes in the bus

Only yesterday

And it was us - like nothing ever happened.

Yet it was ten years of a friendship and four of it being none, how can our memories suddenly be gone?

You saw me, I was sure, yet you didn't wave hi, or talk to me.

And don't be

The one to blame it on the bus being crammed with people running on errands,

Don't blame it on my father sitting next to me, he never was a bother when we used to meet.

And don't blame it on you spending time with the one person that

you despised from the second you two met.

I never liked her, you did neither - a bond that sealed us two together.

I saw a girl, instantly knew, it was you.

You got your ear pierced a third time, I remember when you told me it in secretive, like it was a crime for your mother to hear.

Your appearance might have changed, yet your eyes never did.

The same dark brown, fit like coffee on a Monday.

And my mind clicked, I remembered today was your birthday this Sunday.

Perhaps I should forget, friends can un-friend, nothing stays the same.

Yet I bet my money I turn soft every time your name

Is mentioned.

I wrote perhaps over three poems about you, one more detailed than the other.

Because I miss you.

So I sent a text, already knew the outcome before I saw the two grey hooks, never to turn blue.

No effort went into what we called ourselves, it wasn't COVID that destroyed our bond, nothing that I was fond of was the cause.

My father said to let it be, when he was the first to spot you from his seat, gently nudged me, I didn't react.

You saw me, indefinitely, not a fact to disregard.

Oh, if you only knew I mourn our friendship like a loved one, I read your letters like I'm standing at their grave.

Because it was and is only me who gave.