[1.20] Them and Us and It

DARK WAS THE NIGHT that encased the late sky around the burgundy vehicle like a never-ending void, and dark was the minds of Valentina Varner and Steve Harrington who sat uncomfortably and silently in their respective seats of his burgundy BMW

Silence had risen after the blonde snapped at her former companion, having had enough of his 'bullshit attitude' and simply wanting to get as far away from him as possible.
Unfortunately, her excuse to convince him into giving her another ride was now the reason that she couldn't get away from him.

"I just don't understand why we need to go to Jonathan's house tonight," Steve continued to complain like he'd been doing since Valentina suggested the idea. He spared the girl in his passenger seat a meaningful glance and simply mean glare in one.

She adjusted her eyes to acknowledge him for a moment, while his head had fully turned toward her until the road ahead forced him to look away. She sharpened her gaze under its tired and squinting eyelids.

"Because! The sooner you apologize, the sooner this can all be over," Valentina argued, diligently trying to convince him that they needed to be at Jonathan Byers's house immediately.

Although, Steve technically did not need to be there tonight. In fact, he probably wouldn't have gone over at all to apologize had it not been for Valentina. She was only telling him to go there because she needed to be there, and she was simply too lazy to walk back to her house and retrieve her own car. Plus, it was dark, and who knows who—or what—was lurking in the shadows of Hawkins.

A heavy sigh came from the driver's lips, expressing his exhaustion once more to the girl who'd already known since he climbed down that ladder that he was utterly exhausted—with the day's events and with her.

She restrained herself from the urge to roll her eyes and instead averted her gaze to the window on her right. The bright streetlamps and sparse houselights illuminated only a small portion of the nightly overfall, causing the transparent window to appear as more of a black screen than a view into the outside.

"God, this is so stupid," Steve muttered to himself, though the girl next to him noticed his mouth moving in the reflection of the window as his voice filled her ears. She continued to watch him, without his knowledge—likely without her own knowledge, too—as he voiced his thoughts frantically. "We don't even know if he's there right now. He could be at the police station!" He tossed his hand in the air dramatically. "Or maybe... Nancy's house," he gulped, "I don't know! Just anywhere but there!"

Steve's brown eyes occasionally darted over to the blonde as he ranted, watching the back of her head secretly without knowing she was witnessing the whole thing.

Until his eyes suddenly snapped toward the window, and his warm irises met with her cool, dark ones for a second before they both dropped embarrassingly fast to the ground.