Run Away With Me

As leaves swept the floors, Jingliu found herself alone. Things were naturally quiet in her life, the people she was once close to were different now, and she respected that. She didn't want to burden others with her presence, so she remained alone. She found herself admiring nature from a bench. The maple leaves drifting towards her, winds blowing them away. Things may have been quiet in life, but she wasn't particularly unhappy or anything. Simply lonely. Smiles came only rarely.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the shadow of a figure looming over her, and as she raised her head to see who it was, she was met with a set of amber eyes.

"Are you okay?"

The boy would ask, raising a brow as he held a genuinely concerned expression on his face.

"..."

Jingliu remained silent for a moment, her gaze remaining on his face.

"I noticed you looked lost in thought, want to talk about it?"

He'd say, taking a seat beside her. A soft smile formed on his face.

"Oh, and I'm Caelus, by the way. You?"

The boy would introduce himself before Jingliu could reply to his earlier question.

Her mouth would open briefly before she shut her lips and tried to speak again.

"Jingliu."

She replied boringly, though she was intrigued by the boy, now Caelus. He didn't question her appearance or her blindfold. He seemed to be fixated on her mood.

"So, about my question. Are you okay?"

Caelus would repeat himself, his smile mixing with a face of concern.

"I'm fine. Though..."

Jingliu trailed off, blood-red eyes underneath her blindfold boring into Caelus's.

She wondered if she could trust him, and though he displayed nothing but kindness towards her so far, she was afraid of being rejected. It was something she had a hard time admitting, that she wanted friends, but was deathly afraid of losing them, so she preferred to not try in the first place. Her early life scarred her.

As Caelus tilted his head, Jingliu sighed, she decided to entrust him.

"Though I feel lonely at times. It's embarrassing to admit."

Jingliu would finally speak up about her feelings, something she hadn't done in centuries.

Caelus would remain silent for a moment, his gaze drifting off of her before returning to her blindfolded eyes.

"It's okay to feel alone sometimes. I'm sure you have people in your life that'll be there for you, right?"

Caelus would say, unaware of her situation as he smiled at her.

Jingliu remained silent, giving Caelus his answer.

"Oh..."

He'd trail off, before giving her a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry, if you have no one then..."

Caelus's smile brightened.

"I can be your friend. If you're okay with that, that is."

Jingliu's eyes widened, her mouth hanging agape slightly as she felt the strings of her heart be tugged. It was such a simple gesture, a simple offer, but it struck Jingliu's heart like an arrow.

"Friend...?"

Jingliu questioned, her voice quiet, barely audible.

Caelus recognized her vulnerability and his expression softened.