Voices That Echo Within

Seele found herself staring as Caelus descended the steps leading to Qlipoth Fort, his sudden appearance on Jarilo-IV surprising her, but what she found odd was that he wasn't smiling.

Her violet eyes brushed over his figure, his eyes a dull amber as his eyes met her own. The color in his eyes did not return to normal, and he smiled instead, but Seele saw how the corners of his mouth tugged in such a manner that suggested that he was faking it.

"Seele!"

He called out, but rather than cheerful, his voice was seemingly empty, like he was speaking aloud.

He quickly approached her and pulled out a hairclip, a mixture of purple and pink, with red accents.

"I saw this while on the Xianzhou Luofu, and it reminded me of you. I would've gotten it to you earlier, but I was in Penacony."

He said, naming two places Seele wasn't familiar with, but she wasn't focused on that, but rather the gesture in itself. Most people would interpret it as merely a kind gift, maybe more or less sentimental to others.

Her eyes looked from the colorful hairclip to Caelus, whose smile softened, showing more genuine emotion. Seele found this intriguing, seeing his earlier state, but she accepted the gift, nonetheless.

"I appreciate it, Caelus, but what's with the sudden visit?"

Seele questioned, in which she noticed that the trailblazer's lips quivered, his expression faltering for a moment before he smiled again.

"I'm just visiting, nothing important."

His voice was slightly sheepish, and she recognized the look in his eyes. The familiar emptiness in them is reminiscent of an old friend. Seele's eyes widened, recognizing the look, she wanted to confront him in the moment, but she knew that would worsen things.

"Oh, well, I hope you enjoy yourself. If you ever need anything..."

Seele trailed on, looking at Caelus with a firm expression.

"Please, don't hesitate to come to me."

Caelus nodded, thanking her before walking off.

Seele watched as his figure disappeared into the distance, sighing. She would make sure to ask around for him later.

...

Later that evening, Seele would find herself wandering all over Belobog looking for Caelus.

She asked around, and when she discovered that Caelus had been giving everyone gifts and thanks, Seele grew wearier of the situation, and given the fact that no one knew of his current whereabouts, she felt her stress grow.

As she thanked Hook, whom she had just asked about Caelus, she walked off and her thoughts wandered.

She found her thoughts thinking about a friend of hers who had committed suicide, it was when she was younger, sure, but that didn't change the fact that the signs were there.

Seele, now older, remembers how the girl's smile faded over time, and she visited Seele less and less as the days went by until she stopped. Seele thinks back to these obvious signs that something was wrong and wishes she had seen them then, maybe her friend would still be alive today. The signs aren't always obvious, some can continue smiling up until the end, while others fade over time. It's much easier to help the latter, and upon seeing another case, Seele was scared. She feared for Caelus.

With her eyes unfocused they fell upon the ambient blue light emitting from the space anchor in front of her, maybe he was on the Astral Express?

Seele would approach the anchor and tap it gently.