chapter 1

Her heart was beating rapidly, sharp pain shot up her arm making her jerk up in pain, "she's waking" the voices surrounding her sounded alarmed, "give her another shot" another voice commanded. Somehow, she did not like the tone of that voice, fear gripped her heart as she felt herself drowning, the pressure above her increased pushing her under. "I'm going to die" a small shrill voice commented within her as she struggled to break free. But before she knew she drifted off into the darkness.

***

Clarissa felt as if it was a dream. It was her fourteenth birthday, her mom, dad and elder sister Amelia were out shopping for her party while she went to her boyfriend Liam's house. Her sister wasn't a fan of boys. She did not know why but generally she hated everyone. She did not have friends, except for her. Otherwise she was loyal, kind, brave, smart and everything in between. It's just that she did not trust anyone except for her family members. While Clary was average height with chocolate brown curls and deep brown eyes her sister had pitch black hair and dark brown eyes that were almost mistaken for black.

Hey Clary!" it was Liam with his blond hair and deep blue eyes that she fell for every passing second, god! she was blushing. They'd been together for almost a year now. Liam had the perfect family, both parent's doctors and elder brother Zayden was working in the lab and also part time in the army and Zayden's best friend Ender living together with his girlfriend Jessica. They were close friends and both families saw the best of each other. Her sister was good friends with Jess but as expected her sister despite the boys. She especially did not get along with Zayden, they were equally talented and there was nothing better than bickering at each other for them. But Clary sort of had a feeling that they secretly fell for each other, she knew deep down it wasn't just love but love that was building between them.

"Are you ready?" Liam asked softly, slipping his hand to hers, she smiled at him, "yes! we just have to wait for the rest of my family to come." "birthday shopping?" Zayden called from where he sank down in the soft cushions on the sofa beside Ender who laughed silently. She could feel the sarcasm in his voice, they clearly wanted to irritate her, "boys!" Jessica snapped "leave the child alone!" She came to the living room with drinks. Everyone was suddenly thirsty grabbing their cokes. They waited patiently till her family came.

"Let's start decorating," Esme Lee's mom said, trying to make it cheerful, so her boyfriend's parents and their friends started decorating. After hours of hard work their hall looked glamorous. "Oh Clary! it's going to be amazing" Jessica smiled. But before she could comment the phone in the hall rang interrupting her rudely.

"Hello!" Esme answered the phone with her cheery voice, but suddenly it was shrill, "hospital?" she gasped, grabbing everyone's attention. Someone spoke behind the line, "no, it can't be!" Esme was about to cry, the voice continued then it was gone. The shock in her face was clearly visible her boy friends' mom stared blankly then dropped the phone, "Esme!" Liam's dad was soon behind her gently holding their crying mother, "what happened dear?" he asked gently. She wiped her tears and sat down taking clary's hands, "I'm sorry love, the hospital called and there has been an accident." A soft chill ran down her spine, "what accident, who was hurt?" her heart was drumming in her throat, her mind jumping into all the worst possibilities it could come up with. She felt Liam's strong arms tightened around her, "Your parents have passed away", those words she knew will haunt her throughout her life. A sob escaped her lips and she dared to ask the question that knew would break her even more, "what ... what about Amy?'' Her eyes filled with dread, a small smile left Esme's lips, she couldn't help noticing how Zayden's head snapped up in worry. "She's okay, she's in the hospital, we have to go get her." A collected sigh escaped her friends, she couldn't wait to see her beloved sister, she had never felt she could lose her before but now she felt like treasure.