Chapter 8

A soft sob escaped Clary's lips, tears ran down her cheek as she repeated the scene that had just happened through her mind over and over again. Nothing made sense one minute her sister was bravely in front of them keeping them safe with Zaiden. The next minute she was in pain dragged away by the creepy man who had threatened to kill them all. Part of her kept wishing that this was all one big nightmare and that she would soon wake up to find her sister safe and sound in her room and that their house would be perfect instead of a humongous pile of rubble.

Instantly Esme's warm hands were cuddling her close, knowing how upset she might be. Hot tears of anger ran down her cheeks coating them with grief, "my sister!", she whispered furiously glaring at Zaiden with all her pain. But she could not help letting in a pang of sympathy, he looked miserable. Before a fight started up their father spoke in a stern voice, "Alright, things are not at their greatest right now so let's all silently get our bearings back, and get out of here."

He helped his wife up as they made their way through the rubble, there was nothing much to pack considering that the majority of their stuff were destroyed during the attack. Everyone took all the weapons they could find, arming themselves in case of a second attack, but something told Clary that Mr. Collins will be quite busy for a while doing God Knows what experiments on her sister. With that terrible thought she went to pack her bags with a heavy heart, back to her room miserably. She missed her sister so much, what little time it took for her to realize that her sister was all she had and how she lost her so soon.

Zaiden felt heart broken, not only was he unable to fight for his family but he lost Amelia as well. He could not get the image of how she looked when she was dragged away out of his head, he knew she would never forgive him for what happened and he wouldn't forgive himself either. His heart felt like it was torn apart into a million tiny pieces. But he knew that he would not rest until she's safely back home.

After packing every accessible thing in their house, they got into their cars, and took off to a new start and to a new mission. Zaiden was determined to do everything in his power to bring Amy back home safely, but some part of him knew that it would not be an easy task. This idea of his fathers for a new start will let him think clearly and prepare himself better for the next attack but he got one lesson from this, and that was to never let his guard down. But another thing that happened to him after the loss of his mate was that the unbearable pain and regret froze his heart and made him more distant from the world around him. He was determined to never trust another man who calls himself a friend until he knows them to the core.

Thank you for reading The Eternal Shadows, if you like this book , please read the second book in this series ; The Shadows of Destiny where the story continues.